Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! E string is wearing away pickup!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hey, right i got a problem, i dont know if its a big or small problem but on my jazz pickup i can see a wear in the side where the string has caught it and slowly wore it away, and the side is a bit worn, is this because my strings are too close.. or just the fact im plucking too hard with my right hand?..

i attached a picture to show where its rubbing and slowly wearing away. its where the red ring is.

Thanks.

2. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    ahh cheers man! thats helps! its currently not making a pop or any noise, but yeah i guess ill try and play with more of a gentle technique, but i mean, it wont hurt or damage the sound if the pickup is wearing away?.. and it would help if i raised the strings, from the bridge to prevent it?

Thanks.

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Yeah, i see, because i also have a P bass and its pops all the time, because the P pickup has 4 metal coils on each of them, and when i slap the string whacks of it, and pops.. but this is a jazz pickup, and its just pure black. i think its cos when i pluck the string i pluck downwards instead of walking with fingers pointing back at body, when i pluck or pick it with my finger or whatever u wanna call it, (fingerstyle) i hit the string and my finger hits the body and then comes up again, and repeat. but when i play and having more a plucking motion in the technique, it feels and is im pulling the strings back and maybe slowly loosening them..

Thanks for the current advise. i was just slightly worried i got this bass 3 days ago.

4. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Cheers man, thanks for the help.

:) :bassist: :)

5. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I can relate to that, because I play really hard. I have a jazz bass with exposed poles, so I have to lower the pickups way down to prevent me from digging into them. Looks like you have casings, so it's not a huge problem, but if you consistently run into that, you may want to lower the pickup. Just get a screwdriver and tighten each screw down a bit. Playing hard is cool though. You get a really killer, hot tone when you do that. John Wetton was infamous for playing really hard, and I love his tone. Larks Tongues in Aspic is a good example, if you're interested in hearing that style.

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Yeah i like playing hard, i mean i dont play like REAL hard but i pluck the strings for motion and power in the energy of the heavy songs i play.

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I'd contact Dana B. Goods and buy a couple of new
    p.u. covers and continue to rock on.

8. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I dont think i should, have you read the thread?..

9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Yes, I have.