1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help: EV RE20 and H-Clamp?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by zamkbass, Apr 16, 2010.

1. zamkbass

zamkbass

Mar 27, 2007
    So, I've been using the RE20 for more than a year now and have had a great experience with it. I then decided to buy an H-clamp to mount it on the bass. However, after attaching the RE20 to the bass, within three minutes, the whole thing rotates until it almost falls off the bass. Anyone have any ideas? Are there better alternative ways for mounting a large mic such as this one? Thanks!

2. 61pollmann

61pollmann

Apr 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I own an EV RE20 and it's way too heavy for an H-Clamp. I can't think of anything that might handle it. If you have to use it, a mic stand would eliminate the chance of harming your bass. If you overtighten the clamp, expect your bass to react. One other alternative would be to use the old technique of wrapping it in a towel and wedging it between the tailpiece and the bass top. The problem with this is that the mic is not facing the top, and will not have a good response curve.

3. I am also looking for a solution to the problem of using a dynamic mic (sm57 type) on some kind of mount.
    I have not found anything so far other than adapting a bass spool clamp to hold a mic attachment.
    I am about to try an Apex drum mic holder. I think I will be able to attach it to the thick brass ferrule next to the end pin plug that connects the ends of the tailpiece aircraft wire.
    The Apex has a screw-type lock and a solid metal mount for a gooseneck.
    I'll let you know if it works and send a picture.

4. zamkbass

zamkbass

Mar 27, 2007
    Yes, definitely keep me posted if you are able to get that to work!

5. zamkbass:

I tried using the drum mic holder but it won't clamp to anything except the tailpiece. Which I do not want to do. I added a gooseneck but it makes the load too heavy.
    I bought a quick ratcheting bar clamp today..and mounted the drum mic holder and the short gooseneck to the end of the bar.
    Works great. Looks like hell:

clamp.

I may have to break down and buy an H clamp after all.

6. Are you kidding? An RE20 on an H clamp? Unless you have a plywood, you'll destroy your bass. Even if you do have a plywood, the RE20 is WAY beyond the weight capacity of the H clamp.

I use an RE20 and it is the greatest live mic for bass I've found. I use it with a folding bass drum mic stand. It's small and folds up nice and tight. I can carry it with two fingers. I've found that the sweet spot for the mic varies from room to room so with it on the mic stand I can move the bass around to find the optimum sound for each room. It's easy, quick to set up and sounds great.

mark