Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help finding tech in Chicago area

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by troll, Nov 9, 2004.

1. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I figured this site, and this message base would be an ideal spot for this post.

I am looking for a good tech in the Chicago area, preferably in the western suburbs. Anyone have someone they know and trust that can bring a bass to it's absolute best?

I used to always just have stuff done at Perrys in Villa Park, the tech seems to do great work, as my original kramer 4 string still plays beautifully after 14 years of his work, they even installed the new pickups and rerouted it all and moved the jack that it needed and did a great job on all of that.

Now I have three cirrus basses, and would love to have them all eventually setup the same, as I have varied playability and sound issues between them, and that shouldn't be happening to at least the two fretted models, since they are the exact same woods only one's a 5 and one a 4. I really dig the way the 4 sounds and plays. Action is pretty low, it's nice and bright and snappy and a dream to play, even with the E dropped to D like we do on several tunes.

The 5 on the other hand, I have had longer, and while I used to really enjoy it's tone, it seems muffled and stiff compared to the 4. I run the same Cirrus branded strings on both and always have. The action is higher and the intonation way off. And I don't trust myself enough to start messing with these 'more expensive' basses.

So, thats my plight. I'd really appreciate any suggestions of someone to take it to, or if there are any techs/luthiers on here that are willing to help. Thanks.

Troll

2. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    My guitarist swears by a guy named Jerry Loy at Player's Guitars in Worth - right off of 294. A little south of you....

I personally can't vouch for him, but I've heard good things.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not in the western suburbs, but IMO the best there is: Carl Pedigo. He works at the Lakland factory as Dan Lakin's head setup guru.

Carl pulled the frets on my Spector, planed the fingerboard flatter than even Stuart ever got it, then put new frets in. The fret ends were so even, rounded, and polished, you'd think it was his own bass!:D

The guy is TRUELY remarkable. IMO, the best there is! :hyper:

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've heard good things about Rick Cremer in North Aurora.

5. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    That sounds familiar, I think I've heard that name dropped before.

I also have an old Travis Bean Kramer with a cracking neck joint that I need repaired, and I swear that's who was recommended to me for that job as well.

Have any more info, especially for contact? :)

Troll

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  7. Another vote for Carl Pedgio at the Lakland Shop.
    Plus he's got a great sense of humor and quite the witty one.
    Carl is very happy doing what he does which in my opinion makes a happy customer...

8. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    +1.

Jarred my memory by hearing the name, but a few years back he did some work for 2 different friends. From what I remember they were happy and the jobs were reasonably priced.

9. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    +1 for jerry loy,he does all my work and has the advantage of being a great bass player in his own right,worth the drive for you

10. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    Yeah, Jerry Loy is great. Players Guitars on 111th St. in Worth. He'll do it exactly how you want it.

peace

11. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    wow, there's alot of Chicago guys on tese boards!
    I want new electronics and fretworking in a bass i'm going to be getting. They'll all shiled cavities too rite?