1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP!! Gig Tonight, Need to jerry-rig an IEM setup.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Johnnyglass, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Johnnyglass

Johnnyglass

Apr 14, 2017
    So I thought I timed all this right with shipping and whatnot, but I didn't. So I need help.

Tonight, I'm playing a country gig in Austin at a venue where I'm going direct to FOH. I have a custom passive P-Bass, my Sansamp Bass Driver DI, and I'm picking up my Westone ES20s at 1:30pm from my Audiologist.

I've ordered a Rolls PM351, but it won't be here until tomorrow. The mixer at the venue is a Behringer XR12 with 2 aux sends. They have powered subs and flown mains, and my bass sounds really good going direct. I've done it before. The problem we have is it's a small-ish stage, and they only have powered 15s for mains, so it kills my ears. Kick is mic'd, all guitars, and all vocals and my bass.

So, my question is, can I get a small format mixer for tonight, run my bass signal into one channel, and the monitor feed from the board into the 2nd channel, and plug my Westones directly into the "phones" output of that small mixer? Would that work for tonight just like that?

2. Yes I sort of started that way also I would pan the board feed to 1 and the bass from your SABDI to 11. the separation will help as well. And if your board has it add some reverb too :)

3. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    Yup.. should work fine..

4. Johnnyglass

Johnnyglass

Apr 14, 2017
    This is the mixer I'm leaning towards. Sansamp into channel 1, line mix in channel 2 (basically a tap off the powered wedge up front). Pan it to 11 and 1, and use an adapter to plug the westones into the phones output and adjust the level accordingly.

Attached Files:

Scottkarch likes this.
  5. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Probably too late to be of much help, but...

Absolutely, it will work.

s0c9 likes this.
  6. Johnnyglass

Johnnyglass

Apr 14, 2017
    Indeed it worked, but it took too many cables to get it done right. My PM351 was delivered today, I'm looking forward to using that tonight.

Scottkarch likes this.
  7. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    Glad to hear it worked. did you need lots of adapters? How many cables did you need?
    1) power
    2) aux in
    3) bass from BDDI
    4) IEM/earbud cable out.

Aside from the size of the mixer vs PM351, what will be different?

8. Johnnyglass

Johnnyglass

Apr 14, 2017
    Honestly, after using the PM351 last night, I liked using the mixer more. Plus, now my band mates are thinking of bringing out their IEMs since they see how much I enjoyed it.

I'm probably going to get a Mackie Mix8, run a mic on both guitar amps, my bass direct into channel 3, and the aux send from FOH into channel 4.

I plug into the "phones" port, drummer plugs into the main out port of the mixer, and the guitar player plugs his into the aux send on the board.

Granted, with that configuration, my mic would be dependent on that levels we set for the drummer, but we like pretty much the same thing in our mix.

I just think it's a cost effective way to get half the band on IEMs, since we can't replace the XR12 (it's the venues, not ours)

Scottkarch likes this.
  9. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    Very interesting. Thanks for the update. We have a couple festivals coming up. Both guitar players will probably use the wedges onstage. We have worked with the sound company and the last time we used them it was a disaster and that's why I bought the DL1608. I may pick up a Rolls so I can dial my bass and vocals on my own. You're not near chicago are you?

10. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    You could get an xr18, mic up your band with that, plug the output into the venues mixer and then all have your own mixes from the xr18 using tablets, etc (android tablets work with the behringer if you need cheap). You'd still need headphone amps but the rolls or any other small mixer would work.

s0c9 likes this.
  11. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    I doubt a club would allow a single LR output to their board. ( if I misunderstood you, sorry ). We have an 8 channel splitter we use for when we have shows with a supplied PA and soundman. We plug out 8 inputs into the splitter and have the splitter labeled so they know what to plug in to. We get our mix, they get to make their own. IEMs are already set and it can save minutes of set up time. Big deal
    At a festival.

12. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    We do that at some places, depends if they have a Soundman or just the equipment. When we do jazz Odyssey for a festival crowd though definitely not...;)

Edit : I just saw that you mentioned a Soundman, we don't do it in that case of course. However, xr12 and Soundman probably don't often go together.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Scottkarch likes this.
  13. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    Gotcha. Makes sense. I've never played a bar with sound but no sound man. I gotcha. I'd do the same thing.

14. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    The key is to remove FOH from the "monitor" equation - which is not always do-able, especially at festival setups with wireless mics, drop snakes all over the place, etc...
    NOT a cheap solution, but carrying your own IEM rig is the best way to go for "working" bands, whether using your PA or the House provided PA.
    If you gig twice a month, not worth the expense IMHO, but.. .

We put together an IEM rack.. because we play 80-ish gigs a year.
    It contains an X32 rack, the IEM transmitters and a 16-ch snake splitter, with the X32 hooked up to an external dual-band router for remote access. Sorry, no pics handy, tho I have posted one before.
    We can do the following based on needed config:
    • Put everything directly into the splitter and give FOH a 16-ch (or L/R) feed, or
    • Put everything directly into the venue snake and take a feed into the splitter, or
    • Send the house an [optional] L/R feed using the rack to mix FOH. We would do this when using our own PA.
    One side of the splitter is permanently connected to the Rack.. the other is used.. or not.. depending on config..
    The beauty of this is that we can do this using all our own wireless mics, instrument DI's, etc.
    One caveat: It generally does NOT work well for festival settings where the SR provider has all the mics, DI's already configured.. unless you can get a split from them!

upload_2017-8-14_9-22-51.