Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! How to wire PowerBuckers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brooks, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have a set of Rio Grande PowerBuckers (http://www.riograndepickups.com/5.html). These are basically 2 J pups side by side. I also have some 3-position Toggle Switches (ON-ON-ON) from StewMac. These have 6 soldering points on the back - 3 on each side.

PowerBuckers have 4 wires plus ground. How should I wire them to the switch to get Single Coil /Both in Series/ Both in Parallel. I asked Rio Grande and got nowhere, but web site says you can do it.

Thanks in advance!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    From the diagrams on their website for regular J's, white is hot and black is ground.
    Do you have two white wires and two black wires? If so, that makes things easier. Otherwise, you'll need to work out what the hot and cold wires.

There's a very good diagram on the bart website, here: http://bartolini.net/instructions/pickups/passive/switching/Switch_Wiring_DualCoil_Pickups4_cond.pdf

On the second page of that are some diagrams for series/parallel/sc operation.
    Match these colors from the diagrams to your own pickup wire colors:

Black = hot wire for pickup closest to bridge
    White = ground wire for pickup closest to bridge
    Red = hot wire for pickup closest to neck
    Green = ground wire for pickup closest to neck

Once you have that done, you can use the diagrams on the bart document to do exactly what you're after. If you have any more questions, ask away

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    David, thanks a lot for the response. I have Black/White/Red/Green plus shield coming out, so I guess Bart diagram will work just fine.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    great, let us know how it goes - I'm considering getting a powerbucker myself for a project bass I have.
    cheers