Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! I must gain weight!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Apr 3, 2005.

1. I was watching "Supersize-me" the other day as part of my communications class. It is a documentary where a man in good health and average weight goes on a diet of eating only large quantities McDonalds food for a month. At the end of the movie, he is in terrible shape, has gained an incredible ammount of weight, and was apparently in danger of liver failure. As I was watching it, I was thinking "Wow! That must be stupid. I would never do something like that, and eat so much junk food." I thought about it for a minute, then realized something: I do eat that much, and often the same types of things!

For lunch/dinner, I'll often order a bacon-cheeseburger, and a double-bacon cheeseburger. At the all-you-can eat style cafeteria on campus, I'll often eat pizza, burgers, salads+eggs, other food in the same meal. I'm getting to a point where I'm still hungry after eating a whole box of the kraft style macaroni. (I think there's around 1,400 calories a box)

I'm not obese, I don't have liver problems, and I'm not depressed. I don't have bad cholesterol or high blood pressure either as far as I know. (The star of "supersize-me" did by the end) Actually, I'm really skinny. I'm too skinny infact. I'm 6'0 and weigh barely 160lbs, and I look even skinnier because none of it is fat. Alright, I don't drink soda at all like the guy in the movie does as I don't like it; I prefer juice or milk. (tons of sugar or tons of fat? :eyebrow: ) I also excercise on a regular basis and include thigns in my diet that contain veggies and carbohydrates etc.

If the guy in the movie can gain 40 pounds in a month by eating large quantities of foods high in fat, calories etc, why can't I? Are there any ways to gain weight? I lift weights all the time, and I eat like a stoned rhinoceros, yet I can't gain any weight. Can anyone give me any pointers or point out what I'm missing?

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    High metabolism?

My friend is the same way. He ways less than me (like 100ish) and is about 2 inches taller than me. I've watched this kid down a slab of ribs and is still hungry. He's a friggin twig!

3. The dude in that movie is a good deal older than you, so your metabolism is probably not comparable with his. Eating garbage like McDonalds will eventually catch up with you though.

Since it sounds like you have incredibly fast metabolism, it might be harder for you to gain weight than most people. Especially since you exercise, you burn a lot of the fat that junk food contains. I've had friends that have gone on a protein shake diet thing and gained lots of weight, so I guess that's an option for you.

My question, though, is why would you want to gain all that weight? It seems clear that your frame is not going to accommodate a lot of weight naturally at the moment, so if you do gain that weight now through other means, you might regret it later if it wreaks havoc on your back/knees. With work in the weight room and a healthier diet (less fat/cholesterol), you'll probably gain a few pounds, but most of importantly you'll develop some muscle tone that will probably make you look bigger. Not everyone has a frame that will allow them to put on a lot of weight naturally, but you can still be healthy and look good.

Of course, if you still really feel like you need to put on some substantial weight, I'm sure someone here can give you a few pointers. I suggest thinking fitness first, though.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'd say don't bother with the weight - when you get older it will most definately catch up to you.

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Quick, turn 40 and get married! Worked for me.

6. :D

hehe

7. Listen to them, when you are older it will catch up to you! It is good to eat a bit healthier tho. Not for weight, but just for over-all health. :)

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    He has a slower metabolism than you. I tried to gain weight/mass /muscle but it didnt work, rigght now my metabolism wont really let me. I am 5'9'' and i weigh 125, and thats how it will be until im older and my metabolism slows down. My dad was like me, now hes 5'9'' and 145. His metabolism slowed down a little, ,mine will too.

9. shy away from junk food like maccas, not only will you eventually put on weight, but you organs will start to be effected over time by it.

Just start to eat 5 smaller meals a day instead of 3 big meals.
    Eat more potatoes, pasta or just carbs in general.
    Hittin the wieghts would be good too.

10. I found an article on a guy who was in the same situation. He was very lean, both muscle and body fat and after 8 years of frustration he found the right plan.

He is now a very solid but well proportioned dude. He has written a whole thing about what it took him and the common misconceptions about healthy body mass.

I will find it and post his url. Very inspirational dedication too.

BTW, that diet your talking about at school is really common. Your getting buzillions of callories but your in fact starving you body to death due to lack of nutrients.

There's a common saying, it's not eating bad food that's bad, it's not eating good food that will kill you.

I can really relate to what your saying, I was in the same boat a few years ago until I started boxing. That showed the lacking diet very quickly.

Cheers

11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK, I'm another one of those high metabolism guys. When I don't work out and eat alot of protein and such I drop down to 120lbs. BTW I'm 5'8". I understand why you want some weight. An extra 20-25lbs won't kill your back or your knees considering your height. Just be smart about how you work out and take it slow.

I maintain a weight now of 140-145lbs. You need to work out to a schedule. I work out ever other day so the muscle has time to heal after a heavy three set workout. Unfortunately thats not how I maintain the weight though. Its just how I keep it from turning to flab.

The only way I have been able put on weight is by eating lots of eggs, pinto beans, and other high protein foods. Also, Vitamin D milk is your friend! Drink three large glasses each and every day or more. I don't like milk but it works. You also can go to places like GNC and use the protein shakes. They work as well but don't taste that good.

This is what works for me. Matter of fact its the only thing that has worked for me. I'm 34 and my metabolism still hasn't slowed down! It might not work for you though.

13. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004

14. 160 isn't really THAT bad for 6'0", but I would suggest protein shakes from GNC, and wieght lifting.

15. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
  16. I don't know why...but I laughed like an idiot at that.

Robin

17. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    WAIt.... literally

In HS i ran track and cycled, i weighed 122 at 5'11. Those silly fat sensor things told me i was 2.5-3.5% routinly, im not sure thats possible. Either way, when I was running a meal would often consist of 2 boxes of craft mac, and a large frozen pizza, and a litter'o'cola. lunch was a free for all in the cafateria with a couple bagels for breakfast

5000 calories daily < 4 mile runs 2x a day and a 1/2 marothon on weekends = Never gained weight.

5 years later I actually have to watch what I eat. You will too. Get into good eating habits now, and follow through for the rest of your life.

18. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    1. Take a stick of butter.
    2. Melt it in a saucepan.
    3. Take another stick of butter.
    4. Dip in melted butter and eat.

Butter-dipped butter. Mm-MMMM!

19. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Thats the second time ive laughed, and my girlfreind has come into the room to see whats so funny. That reminds me of what Eric Cartman eats, i think its a stick of butter rolled in suger and coco, inbetween 2 pop tarts.

butter coco poptart suprise?!

That might pack the weight on in a hury
    I forgot to mention... PEANUT BUTTER. Oh how I love it. If you can get 8oz of peanutbutter on a sandwhich, and eat a couple of those a day, you'll pack it on... Wash it down with a protein shake and lift for 45 minutes a day. Keep the cardio work to a mininum.

As a skinny guy, I also wanted to chime in on what helps in not looking skinny. work the upper body. Pushups, and a boxing bag. If you got some dough get a good heavy bag and some heavy practice gloves. If you got the money and a brother/dad- get him to attack you with the bag, so you push him back. Its obvious in appearance. Its funny how "fighting" muscles are very noticable.

If you wanna look "bad ass" hit the bag till your knuckles split, and keep doin it till they scar. Then you might be skinny, but atleast you'll have +1 point to tough guy ;) :ninja: