Help identifying the Fender (?) P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dreamy, Oct 9, 2018.

1. dreamy

dreamy

Oct 9, 2018
    Hi guys, I am not a bass player myself but had this bass passed to me. Some searching online could not help me identify the model. I am inclined to think this is a counterfeit guitar.

I would appreciate if you can shed some light on what you make of it.

The serial number is a 6-digit, stamped on a neck plate. No other identifications, the Fender logo is painted, rather than decal sticked and lacquered.

If possible, I would rather not disassemble it (though I guess electronics and neck join might be telling volumes more).

Photos:

Thanks in advance!

mikewalker likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    tenor.gif

saabfender and mikewalker like this.
  3. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Yup!

4. dreamy

dreamy

Oct 9, 2018
    Thanks guys!

5. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    But there is no direct correlation between genuineness and quality. As a bass, it still could be a very fine instrument.

6. Most certainly nothing to do with Fender or Squier! As GretschWretch says, it may be a decent instrument if you upgrade the hardware/electrics... but get someone knowledgeable to check it over before you spend any money.

7. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Nothing Fender about that... but whatever it is, it's certainly not very modern. It's got some pretty oddball hardware on it!

saabfender likes this.
  8. All the hardware looks like Aria to me but from different basses. The bridge with the fine tuners came from a ZZ bass and the tuners from late 70’s/early 80’s Aria, or any Matsumoko, Fender copy. The neck plate looks like Aria/Matsumoko from any number of basses. The adjustment wheel truss rod is like nothing Aria did though.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY

saabfender likes this.
  10. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I rather like the Fender logo there.

11. dreamy

dreamy

Oct 9, 2018
    A guy on the local classifieds said this is a Musima Action Bass with modified bridge piece due to variety of factors (nut placement, tuners, serial number...)

12. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Yeaah, but you didn't fall for any of that, did you?

13. dreamy

dreamy

Oct 9, 2018
    Should I have not? He did not offer to buy it out, just informed me.