1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help in putting together a new rig.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bnutz, Aug 15, 2007.

1. bnutz

bnutz

Mar 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'm currently in the market for a new rig for my UB. I've got a Shen 7/8 willow flatback, Fishman Full Circle Pickup, LR Baggs PADI and Avalon U5 DI.

I need a power amp and potentially would like to get some sort of 2x10" cabinet as well, however I've got an Aguilar GS112 that I could use in the meantime.

I've done some searches, but haven't found a definitive power amp thread here, the same way there are preamp and cabinet threads, so all opinions and experience are welcome.

I think I need a fair amount of power, because I've found that my SWR California Blonde just isn't cutting it volume-wise for the majority of my gigs. I'm probably thinking 500-1000 watts/side and of course would love to keep size and weight as low as possible without totally breaking the bank ($500 used?)

Realistically, I'll probably be looking at the major power amp brands (unless you suggest otherwise), QSC, Crown, etc. mainly because there seem to be quite a few of them on the used market, and am curious if there are tonal preferences one brand to the next.

Thanks for your help with this.
    -b

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Can't help you with the power amp other than to say that I've tried the Acoustic Image Focus SA and liked it. As far as speakers, the EA NL210 is very impressive sounding, and is easily the lightest and most portable 210 cab I've ever run across.

3. bnutz

bnutz

Mar 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, if I had the bread, I'd probably go with one of the EA combos, they sound great and would work really well with my electrics, too. But for the moment, I'm going to have to be cost conscious.

I just got back from a gig and the sound engineer (who's also a friend of mine) said he had a QSC RMX 850 that he'd part with cheap (although I don't know just how cheap, yet). He's also going to let me borrow it to see if I like it, first.

-b

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    +1.

I'd suggest leaving all those preamps at home or selling them to get the Focus. It's less than 4lbs, loud as hell and sounds great with the full circle plugged right into it. The Di sounds great right into any sound system you'll encounter, it's got mutes and all the filters you need in one little box. I double with it once a week and it works fine. You could use that into the cab you have for now. If you want a 210 to do super loud doubling gigs that would power it very well and could be purchased later.

I went down that separates road you are heading down and it's to much stuff to schlep in and out when you are hauling the big wood bass. Thats a bunch of stuff in a rack that can be replaced by a thing that you can throw over your shoulder and carry a bass at the same time.

See if you can at least borrow one and try it for yourself.

If you want to ignore all that anyhow and do the PA amp thing, Crown Macrotechs are indestructible. Several of the QSC line are also nice.

Anything in that league would sound great.

5. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    If you are really set on using one of your dedicated Preamps you could also tap into the "power amp in" section of any standard BG head. There are not many cases where you'll need a 2 channel power amp for DB gigs....If your not attached to the U5 selling to come up with funds for a focus sounds reasonable as suggested..

I know you said the EA NL210 was pricy for you, IMO it's the best 2x10 cab I've owned for DB or BG....It would be worth using the Aguilar cab until you can save up for one...

Good luck.

6. bnutz

bnutz

Mar 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I am totally attached to my U5, but after doing some research on the Focus, I may look for other stuff to sell and just make do in the meantime. If it's half as good as it looks, and as many TBers make it out to be, it'll be worth the investment.

-b

7. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    bnutz, I've been using the Focus 2rIII for than a year and half now. First w/ a Aguilar GS 112, which worked great, but now I own a pair of AE Wizzy M-line 12's and they are are wonderful cabs.

One Wizzy-M gets really loud and is great for doubling. I like and still own the Aguilar, but the Wizzy-M is lighter and is superb for double bass. I cut pretty darn loud gigs w/ just one and since it's a 4 ohm cab it uses more of the good juice of the Focus. I find it light enough for smaller gigs as well. It has really nice omni-directionality. The Focus w/ the Ag would be fine until you could buy a dif. cab. I'm sure the AE NL 210 is a great cab as well, but heavier than a WizM-line. I really appreciate the convenience of this rig especially when I'm doubling, knowing it'll sound great w/ enogh heft and bottom and I can still carry the cab in w/ one hand.

BG

When I need stupid loud w/ out any PA support I bring the pair and it's a wall of great tone and the Focus sounds fab w/ the 2 ohm load.

8. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Wow.

I didn't realize you could run that at 2 ohms stable.

Wow.

cool.

9. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Yeah, I do it all the time w/ no problems.

AI rates the the power output at 1000 watts at 2ohms so I try not push the pair of WizM's too hard, but w/ the master vol. at like 2 or 3:00 I don't think I've had the pre vol at more than 8:00 while playing even loud slab gigs.

When are you taking Vincent on tour to Closter?

Bri

10. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Sometime between Thanksgiving and New Years.....