1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help installing new single Bridges

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by keytthom, Jan 23, 2012.

1. keytthom

keytthom

Jun 10, 2010
    So I just bought these off of ebay (had to buy 2) Bridge

I am going to put them on my Squier Deluxe 5 string jazz to make it a 6 string. I would like to know how to go about placing the bridges. And also, I was wondering whether it would be good to place the E and B bridge a bit further back (increase tension maybe?? :S )

Any help appreciated :D First mod so pretty worried :p

2. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    You don't want to move the bridge back. You'll never intonate the string properly.

3. keytthom

keytthom

Jun 10, 2010
    I was worried about that :p (just out of interest, is that why when you there is a fanned bridge, the Frets aren't parallel?)

4. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    When used in a multiple scale bass, the frets and individual saddles will each be on their own scale.

You might be able to get a little creative in their placement, as long as you have enough room to properly intonate the strings. A slight stagger, or perhaps an arc would work, but you'd better have your math right.

5. keytthom

keytthom

Jun 10, 2010
    whats worrying is that Im studying maths at Uni right now, but I'm more worried about getting the placement right than I am any of my course