HELP: LOUD Buzz on Open "A" string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by punchybass, Mar 7, 2004.

1. :help:

I have a loud, horrible buzz on the open A string. I know very little about toying with my bass. However, I do know (I think...sigh :meh: ) that the truss rod is set perfectly! If it is the saddles, could you please give me the dummies How To version to correcting the prob??? Thanks!!!
  2. Try something:

Put a piece of paper in the nut under the a string (the is the parte where the strings anchor between the neck and the headstock). the paper must be tick. (or you can fold a sheet of paper in 2 or 3 layer. If the buzz go away that way you might need your nut filled or Just keep the paper.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ALso check the string windings around the post. Make sure there is enough downward pressure on the string from the nut to the post. Try to get at least 3 windings on the post, with the string on the bottom.
  4. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    the nut might have worn hideously, that happened to mine. De - string the bass and fille the nut so there is a slight downslope towards the post
  5. It really does work!
    I had a similar issue with a MIM Fretless Jazz. The open "A" clanked like a rusted bucket. Placing one or two small pieces of business card stock in the nut slot solved the issue. I thought about filling the slot and re-filing, but I guess I've just been too lazy / too busy playing to bother. :bassist:
  6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yeah - my SX P has had paper under the A and the D ever sense day 1. No ammount of bridge saddle adjustments made any difference - the problem was the nut. I to have been too lazy to permanantly fix the problem.
  7. Thank you for all your help. The paper trick really did work!!!
    I never would have figured that one out!!! Thanks again guys! :hyper:
  8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hey - that bass I mentioned above - well I changed strings from the original stock string (which were not properly wound on the pegs - they "crossed" hear and there - kind of bunched up) to Ernie Balls and I installed them corectly (winding down the peg, no crossing) - no buzz! no paper and no buzz. :meh: