1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IbanezATK, Apr 22, 2009.

1. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    Anybody played a GK 800RB into an Ampeg 8x10?

How does it hang volume wise with a rock drummer and a 4x12 playing guitarist?

Am I better off sticking with my BBE Pre, Carvin Power, and 2x 4x10?

The GK would be a big wattage drop...

2. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    Surely somebody has, that was a pretty standard rental backline not too many years ago. Our bass player got that setup fairly regularly when I played guitar. Unfortunately I was playing pretty big places at that time and the backline was just a monitor, and I didnt venture to that side of the stage that often so I mostly heard direct through the monitors. I'm an old man now and playing much smaller gigs... a lot of these dives only have PA support for vocals :(

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    :eek: :rollno:

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Ibanez,
    I played a G.K. 800 through a straight back, 4 ohm, Ampeg SVT 810 for 23 or so years.
    Lots of big stages and loud bands.
    NEVER had a problem with volume.
    The G.K. 800 is the loudest 300 watts on the market. It just needs to have enough speakers running for the 300 watts to work with.
    A couple years back I went to a smaller cabinet, but I'm still using that same G.K. 800.