Help me find the right bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HogieWan, Feb 6, 2009.

1. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm looking to replace my MIM Jazz with a 5-string. My first thought is to buy a Jazz V, but I was checking one out in a shop yesterday, and I didn't like the wide string spacing. One of the reasons I want a 5 banger is the narrower spacing (I have a Douglas 5 string fretless from Rondo and I like that feel). Can you get a Jazz V with narrow spacing?

I love the passive, single coil tone, but I wouldn't mind having a splittable humbucker. Also, I'd MUCH prefer 35" scale. I'm looking in the MIM price range, but features could raise that a bit.

Any suggestions?

2. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I have a 5 string schecter stiletto elite 5. It is 35" scale with a little tighter string spacing. It has emg hz40 pickups though. I am actually trying to sell it if you are interested. I play ibanez 6 string basses now so don't really have use for a 5. If you want some others to check out I know the ibanez sr series has tighter string spacing even on their 4 string basses but they are 34" scale. The btb's are 35" scale but unless you get it as a 6 string they usually have wider string spacing so probably not what you are looking for. Hope I helped.

3. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I contacted Kurt at rondo a while back asking if they ever carry any SX 5ers with 35" scale. He said they might if people were asking for them. If you are also interested, let him know.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021