Help me! G&L tribute or american made?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Twistad, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Hi,

I've been playing a L-2500 Tribute for a while and after reading a few threads about G&L, i've been wondering if i should sell it in order to get the american one. Are they really better?

I know the electronics are the same but that the materials used on the americans are better. This is really bothering me, i feel like my bass could be better.

Should i sell my tribute and pay a little more to get the real thing? Is it worth it?
  2. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Its really not a little more. Its more like alot more.
  3. Sell it and buy american one! You won't regret!
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a 1981 G&L USA L2000E fretless that I bought new for $750...dang, I'm gettin' old;)

I have a used 2002 G&L 2500 Tribute that I paid $350 for. I like them both very well, and see/feel no really noteworthy differences between them. I did spend some extra time on setup with the Tribute, did a little fretwork...nothing to complain about. It plays and sounds killer;)

If you can find what you like in a used tribute, it's a super cheap superfine axe.
  5. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    The major part of the difference is, I daresay, in your perception of the 2 products.

Try an experiment - with a friend, go to a dealer who has a US 2500 and do a 'blind test" - switch between the 2 with a blindfold. This may sound nuts but it could solve your problem. If the Trib wins - keep it! If the US wins and you think the difference merits the extra $$$ and you can afford it - go for it! At least, you will be the guy who has made the decision.

Personally, the Tribs get super close at a fraction of the cost. My 2 cents is that your money would be better spent on getting a set-up by an excellent luthier and dining out on the difference.

Either way, G&L is where it's at!
  6. Yeah, i'm pretty sure it's only a matter of perception. I've alway loved my bass but now, i can't get the idea that it could be better out of my head.

But, the only thing that has bothered me with this bass is the fact that it doesn't have 24 frets. So i'm wondering if i could get an american made on with 24 frets.

I'm thinking this would be the perfect bass for me, does it exist?
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Twistad, the USA G&L is better made, but I really don't know if it sounds that much better. If it would be a strain, I wouldn't buy a new USA G&L because they are alot more than a Tribute. What you could do is wait around for a used L-2500. They have a very low resale value and you can get a very nice USA model for only $200 or so more than a new Tribute L-2500.
  8. So i'm pretty convinced i want to get the USA G&L, i'll probably get it used like my tribute.

On the other hand, i'd really like 24 frets and from what i've looked at, G&L seem to be all 21 frets.

I think i could go without the 3 additional frets, but just in case, what's another bass that ressembles the G&L but with the added 3 frets?
  9. bump!

Do G&L makes a 24 frets 5 strings or do i have to look at another brand?

10. Don't believe they offer 24 frets as an option
  11. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Nope. Never seen one with 24 frets....Have you let the people here get into your head about USA vs. Korean made basses? Well anyway I too have a Tribute L-2500 and it's a great sounding bass... Until I can pay for the USA one this is going to be my main go to bass.
  12. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I bought my US made L-2000 for $600 used in perfect condition, $40 more than a Tribute is new. Based on the Tributes I've played I'd say its more than worth it. But, based on the fact you already bought a Tribute new, and I'll guess you'd probably get around $400 for it, it may or may not be worth it to you to pay an extra $200-$400 bucks for a used American L-2000. I would say keep the Tribute for now and play as many US L-2000s you can at your leisure, and if you find one that absolutely clicks and you feel is "the one", then trade up. Otherwise, the Tribute is definately worthy of keeping.
  13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The best thing to do is get a *used* Tribute...that maximises your savings. I paid under $400 for my Trib 2500, with the G&L hardshell case...