Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me ID some strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fookgub, Oct 25, 2005.

1. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I was in GC the other day, and one of the sales guys was playing a jazz with black strings. It sounded great... deep and warm, but with enough treble to keep things interesting. When I asked him what they were, he told me Labella Jazz Rounds. As far as I've been able to find LaBella doesn't make a string string called a Jazz Round, nor any black coated strings at all. TI makes jazz rounds, but they don't seem to be coated either. I guess they could have been bootzilla's, but I didn't think those strings had a reputation for the type of sound I was hearing.

Anyway, if anyone has any idea what strings these might be (and where I could buy them), please let me know. I think they'd be perfect for my fretless p-bass.

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Maybe the nylon-wound labellas?

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Oops... forgot about those. Could be them, since I'm pretty sure GC sells 'em. Then again, I don't know how the sales guy would get DR and Labella confused. I've heard those are good strings in their own right, so I may try them out (I liked the clips at basstasters, too).

As in tape wound? Forgive me, but I still haven't figured out what they're about. I know round, flat, and ground but, despite all my searching, I can't seem to pin down what tape wounds or nylon stings are or what they're good for. FWIW, the strings I saw looked like coated roundwounds to me.

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Tapewound strings are basically flatwounds with a wrap of nylon "tape" wrapped all the way around them, as if it were the outer layer of the string. They certainly have a very warm sound. At more than a few feet, they wouldn't look any different than coated roundwounds.

If you are positive they were coated rounds, though, I would say black beauties or Black Diamond strings. Those are the only two black strings like this I know of.

5. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think I'll give the DR's a shot. I'm curious about tapewounds, though. Do they have a more upright-ish sound? Where can I read more about them?

6. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    fender accs 9120 nylon tapewound bass strings? sounds like GC....

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    If it's a Fendr J-Bass, it's likely the Fender Nylon Tape-wounds...

8. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think you're right. It was a fender jazz, and from the pic on the Fender website, they look exactly the same.

9. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Yep. They sound great.