Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me identify my cab!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by astrovic, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Hi all

First post for me - I'm hoping someone can help me learn a little more about by cab...

The backstory - I bought this fella in the early '90's, together with a custom power amp and an ampeg pre-amp (why I sold that, I don't know). The appeal has always been its size - a small cab fitting a 15" speaker = strong, healthy back. Great for rehearsals, small gigs etc.

The cab made by Mr Seager (no, not Bob), who I believe built audio gear in Melbourne Australia in the '70's and '80's. I understand him to be somewhat of a local legend in that regard.

Anyhow, my bass gear has come and gone over the years but my little Seager cab has followed me around faithfully from house to house (mainly collecting dust and the remains of small rodents). It's currently fitted with an EV 15", which is rated at between 305-450 watts.

What I don't know, and could very usefully know before I go out and buy an amp to go with this little fella, is the cab's impedence. Does anyone know, or can they give me their opinion? Is the legendary Mr Seager out there?

I've attached a photo, which should help. It's dimensions are 23"w x 20"h x 11.5" deep. I've removed the grille so you can see it better. I've also attached a photo of it with my glorious '70's Yamaha Superbass 800, just cos he's been so cool to me for so long :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30730&stc=1&d=1141538280
    P3050427.JPG
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30731&stc=1&d=1141538280
    P3050428.JPG

Attached Files:

2. That's a cool looking cab!
    The Impedeance is what you make it... Take out that EV; there should be a sticker rating on it somewhere that will have it's RMS handling and impedeance. Perhaps over the years it may have fallen off... If so, someone with more experience than me will be hopefully have a test you can try. ;)

Welcome to TB!

That cab has given me the idea to paint in the front of my Trace cabs green... :smug:

3. +1 for looking to see if the tag is on the speaker. Also if it is not there may be numbers stamped on the magner or speaker basket that may help identify the speaker in question and get you your information.

4. Thanks guys- yeah I should have metnioned in my first post that I did that - looks like the sticker has fallen off, and the info stamped on the back of the magnet is all blurry, and doesn't appear to say what I'm looking for. I'll just have to look closer :ninja:

I like the white around the cone - kinda makes it look like a NS-10 with elephantitis!

5. do a charcoal/crayon rubbing, like little kids do with coins.

that should make finding out what the back says easier. if there's a serial # on there you could email it to EV and they could tell you in a heartbeat (if they get back to emails quick enough.)

hope this helps.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well we know it's an EV speaker, and it looks like it was built around the time where every man and his dog in Austr was playing through EV TL bins. Maybe that's what you've got.

You can do a simple test to determine the impedance if you have access to a multimeter. Set it to measure ohms, then measure the resistance across the speaker cable. An 8 ohm cab should read somewhere near 6 ohms, and a 4 ohms cab should read somewhere near 3 ohms.

7. Thanks guys - excellent advice. Looks like I'll be getting my funk back in no time! (yewww...)

8. Just a follow up - I hauled the speaker out of the box again tonight and stared hard at the fuzzy writing on the back of the magnet - it turns out I have a EVM 15L OEM Type speaker.

My web research tells me that everyone else's 15lL's are rated at 8 ohms, so I'm going with that (unless anyone warns me that 15L's also come in a 4ohm version!) as I think I've just about run the well dry on this issue.

Cheers and thanks for the help, guys.