Help me identify this color (Green Fender Journeyman content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveFromBerlin, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Sherwood Green

62 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. Olympic White

27 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. SteveFromBerlin

SteveFromBerlin

Jan 3, 2008
    Berlin
    Hi guys,

I have comissioned a luthier to build me a P Bass and gathered a lot of mood pictures to decide what color it should get. I pretty much have nailed it down to the green in the picture, but absolutely can not find the source.

I believe it's a Fender Custom Shop 59 Journeyman, but is this really Sherwood Green or something else yet very similar?

If you could be so kind and help me with this, I will shout out prayers to each and every one of you once the NBD will take place.

Also: What do you prefer? Sherwood Green or good old (maybe boring?) Olympic White?

IMG_7760.JPG

For comparison: This really is Sherwood Green the way I know it...

Sherwood Green.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I would say it’s Sherwood. Both look great. I also like olympic white :D

SteveFromBerlin likes this.
  3. sherwood green is so beautiful.
    me i would choose a different pickguard, even tho I love tort in general

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think they are both Sherwood. The top pic uses warmer light. The bottom pic uses cooler light.

Dynacord, Ghastly, Steve88 and 6 others like this.
  5. SteveFromBerlin

SteveFromBerlin

Jan 3, 2008
    Berlin
    Which one? Something like a vintage cream pearl white?

dcr likes this.
  6. SteveFromBerlin

SteveFromBerlin

Jan 3, 2008
    Berlin
    I think you may be right on this.

7. personally I stay away from pearl, but cream or parchment would likely be my choice. or maybe mint green

8. Sherwood Green is one of the colors that presents more variations. You will find almost blueish to dark green hues, even from Fender itself.

9. T-34

T-34 Wanna go headless? Supporting Member

Sherwood green yellows over time - the top pic may be of an older bass...

DiscoRiceJ and SteveFromBerlin like this.
  10. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Both are great but SG just pops more to me

11. Outshined91

Outshined91 Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2019
    US of A
    They both look like Sherwood to my eyes too! I agree with @two fingers that the lighting is just different. However, I would personally go Olympic White as I've found it to be a classic color that always looks clean and professional. But YMMV! Good luck with the decision and can't wait to see the final product! :thumbsup:

two fingers and SteveFromBerlin like this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yes, looks like Sherwood but also yes, the CRI and the CCT of the lighting can change how the item color appears. And also yes that it's a really cool color and not so common. Good luck.

13. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    The two pics are the same color. The difference in perception owing to light source wavength is called.......

Metameric failure[edit]
    The term illuminant metameric failure or illuminant metamerism is sometimes used to describe situations where two material samples match when viewed under one light source but not another. Most types of fluorescent lights produce an irregular or peaky spectral emittance curve, so that two materials under fluorescent light might not match, even though they are a metameric match to an incandescent "white" light source with a nearly flat or smooth emittance curve. Material colors that match under one source will often appear different under the other. Typical example is inkjet proof for printing press. At 5000K color temperature the metameric error is negligible.[1]

Normally, material attributes such as translucency, gloss or surface texture are not considered in color matching. However geometric metameric failure or geometric metamerism can occur when two samples match when viewed from one angle, but then fail to match when viewed from a different angle. A common example is the color variation that appears in pearlescent automobile finishes or "metallic" paper; e.g., Kodak Endura Metallic, Fujicolor Crystal Archive Digital Pearl.

14. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    That looks like Sherwood Green with a yellowed clear coat. That's what Sherwood Green turns into over the decades. Notice that it is not only darker, but more warm.

The bottom pic has clear clear, which is what Sherwood Green looks/looked like when new.

Also, the variables between the two photographs are not accounted for. The bottom picture has a cooler color balance, just to my eye (I'm a professional photographer specializing in copy work for my living, so stuff like that is easy to see due to lots of practice). And it is lit more flatly, and exposed/adjusted more darkly.

Much better color with a yellowed clear coat IMO. Factory fresh Sherwood Green is pretty boring, flat, and shallow. It becomes more rich, dramatic, and deep as it ages into a darker, truer green.

As a [possibly] interesting point of trivia, Sherwood Green was the only metallic color in the Fender catalog that used nitrocellulose lacquer for the color coats. All the other Fender metallics used acrylic lacquer color coats (with nitro clear over them). A related note is that Olympic White was the only non-metallic that used acrylic color coats (not nitro).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    SteveFromBerlin, Hachimitsu and T-34 like this.
  15. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Aren’t green basses bad luck?
    Ohh wait , that’s green motorcycles.

I’m not a fan of the Sherwood green , looks great in photos but not so much in person.

For me anyway. To each his own.

16. Looks like Sherwood to me. The clear coat yellowing over the years has a big impact on the appearance of Sherwood and LPB.

Dynacord and SteveFromBerlin like this.
  17. Bassaga

Bassaga

Sep 4, 2015
    Arizona
    I never can tell "Sherwood green" and "British racing green" apart. I might have said the top picture was BRG.

18. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    I like both colors and don't think you can go wrong whichever one you choose. HOWEVER, I have an Olympic White '82 Jazz that has mellowed to a cream color over the last 35 years that I wouldn't trade for anything. So I am predisposed to Olympic White. Mine has white pickguard, white pickups, and white strat-type control knobs. She looks great and sounds even better:
    WhiteLadyOutside2.jpg

Go with the Olympic White.

SteveFromBerlin and HardNHeavy like this.
  19. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    Personally, I love Sherwood Green. At the Dallas Vintage Show, I once saw a matching set of a PBass, Strat, and Jazzmaster in SG, matching SG heads, and white pickguards and pickup shells. Stunning.

But I am here to testify, my brothers and sisters, that you only ever buy ONE green guitar IF YOU MUST, because afterwards, you can not GIVE then away. It will become your 'keeper' because you'll be stuck to it like the Tar Baby.

Pay Heed and Do Not Proceed !

Oly White is great !

20. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Typing 1 hand lefty for about a month. Slack! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Wow!!! I'm so proud!! 19 posts and no one has suggested a third (their personal favorite) choice!

Dynacord and SteveFromBerlin like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022