1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me out: Yamaha customized bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JupilerTauro, Apr 5, 2009.

1. I've been wanting to buy a new bass for quite a time now.
    Because I don't have a lot of money, I was looking for one that's allready used. I found one bass for about 300 euros but I'm not sure if I should buy it

It's a customized Yamaha bass. The guy who's selling it says that it consists of all original Yamaha parts exept for the body. I don't really know much about basses or at least what's good or what's bad so..

I did some searching about Yamaha basses and I haven't found any bad reviews.

I compared the pickups on the guitar with other Yamaha basses and i think that they're

- Alnico Hum-Canceled X 2 (TRB 1005)
    or
    - Double Coil Alnico V X 2 with Piezo Pickup on Bridge (TRB5PII)

so I guess the parts that are used are from the TRB 1005 or the TRB5PII

I play mainly different kinds of metal. In the reviews I read they said that you can play any kind of music with it, but I'd like to know your opinion on this.

There are 4 knobs on it for:
    - volume
    - pickup balancer
    - treble-mid
    - bas-mid

This is a pic of the guitar I found

[​IMG]

Anyone got any advice?

2. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    Looks kinda cool! Did you get to play it? If not, is there anyway you can? I'd say if you like it, get it. Thats about 400 bucks for american bucks, which isn't too bad for a decent bass. Make sure the guy who customized it did a good job. Go for it!

3. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    OMG that thing is hot!!!!I've never seen such a Yamaha in my whole life,it might be an assembled bass actually...

4. I didn't get to play it yet, but I'm saving up for the money right now.
    I guess he'll let me play it before I buy it, if I ask.
    I posted this thread because I wanna make sure if it is a decent bass, but since I don't know which parts are used, I think I won't find out untill I played it. But still, if anyone owns/owned/played a Yamaha bass, especially if it's a 5-string TRB1005 or TRB5PII, let me know about your experiences

thanks for the replies