1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me pick a bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeepSouth, Nov 14, 2018.

1. DeepSouth

DeepSouth

Aug 6, 2008
    Eight years ago I pickup a gig playing guitar and my bass playing fell to the wayside. Sold everything since it was all collecting dust.

That gig is done so I want to get back to work playing bass again. I've missed it.

Style wise: Country, Classic/Southern rock, blues, swamp pop. In the past I played on flatwounds and currently plan to go back to them with my new bass.

I'm also 47 now and have come to enjoy lighter weight instruments so I don't wake up the next morning feeling like I got beat up!

Currently I'm eyeballing the:
    Fender Mustang P/J - Covers allot of styles, meat n taters tone.
    Hofner Club - Has the tone that makes me smile.

The Fender is the safe bet as I know how they play.
    But that Hofner has a tone that wont leave me be. I also wonder how comfy it would be to play for 3 sets. The edge of the body looks like it might dig in to your forearm a bit.

download (2). HHICBXXOX-P.

metron likes this.
  2. Really depends on the sound you are looking for. P's, PJ's, J's, MM's, and soap bars all have their own mojo. Sounds like you already know what you like. If you are considering a mustang, you might want to also check out the Ibanez Talman (600 or 1000 series).

DeepSouth likes this.
  3. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I've got one of these, that I gutted and made passive.

No affiliation to this seller, it's just an example I could grab quick...
    Schecter Diamond Series Elite 5 String Bass Black Cherry
    The neck thru is nice and it's got nice tight string spacing. I know you're looking at 4s, but wanted to point out that my 5 weighs in at 8.5 lbs. via bathroom scale... If you found a 4 version of it, it would surely be lighter. Instrument quality is above par for this grade of instrument...

DeepSouth likes this.
  4. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Do you have a budget you can share? The Club bass looks awesome but I've never played one so I can't comment on it. I love Fenders and recently wanted a Mustang until I played one of those PJs at the guitar store. It sounded ok but to my surprise I hated the size and feel. I'm not a big guy and I really expected to like it, and might have even bought it that day, but I put it back on the rack after just a few minutes.

Wfrance3 likes this.