1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me pick some pedals!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by manmountain8, Mar 17, 2008.

1. I am dumping my Basspod pro because I am sick of sounding so digital. I want to get some real pedals and I could use some help. I am already set on the Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI. Next I need a good compressor. I've narrowed my search to 2.

EBS Multicomp or Demeter Compulator? leaning towards the demeter, any suggestions?

Next I need a fuzz. Since I can't find or afford a Maestro Bass Brassmaster I'm considering the Prescription Electronics depth charge, Black Cat Bass octave fuzz, Analogman Sunface, Blackbox x-ray, and the brown dog. Leaning towards the depth charge. What do you think?

Next is an envelope filter. I think I'll get the Moogerfooger LP, but does anyone know of something better? I've heard good things about the Lovetone Meatball but that thing just seems to complicated and expensive. Mutrons are spendy and hard to find.

Also thinking about a phaser. Maybe Moog or a vintage Maestro?

Last but not least is a bass wah. I've got a Dunlop and it's Ok, but if you know of something better let me know. Thanks...

2. A popular Brassmaster clone is the Malekko B:Assmaster. $255 on their site.

3. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Ok so I've had some of these pedals. The Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz was ok, but I think you'll do better with a different Brassmaster clone. Check out the B:ASSMASTER by Malekko Heavy Industries as well as the Depth Charge. The Analogman Sun Face was cool on bass but I wouldn't say it makes a rad bass pedal. I didn't find it as usable on bass as a lot of other fuzzes. Sounds great on guitar though. And the Blackbox X-Ray was a big disappointment. It's been a long time since I've had that one, but it's one of the few pedals I've actually returned. From what I remember I can't recommend it.

4. Thanks, I hadn't found that one yet. Reviews of the Malekko are stellar, so I guess I'm trying to decide between that and the Depth charge. I like what I'm reading about the Malekko. Does anyone have one? How do you like it?

5. Dude thanks man, the Malekko is the sh#t. Sound samples are awesome. I think I'll go with that one. I've never heard so many people say that a clone sounds like the real thing.

6. ?

7. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    he's guiding you to a thread he recently made about finding the perfect wah (just click on that link). i'd suggest reading that thread, then searching for other wahs so you can gather all kinds of information... then post specific questions, if you still have any after all the info you've gathered.

:)

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    The Lovetone Meatball (and assorted clones) is amazing, but you're right, it's quite a bit more expensive than the Moog.

If you're looking for something with a lot of mojo and are willing to go on a little bit of a quest, there are some fantastic original DOD FX25s. I swear the good ones are the best, funkiest envelope filters I've ever heard. They're also still cheap, maybe $40 depending where you find it, but you gotta try it before you buy it.

9. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Groove is in the heart!!!
    i have a demeter compulator for few months now, i think its really good though i haven't tried the multicomp yet.

i would love to have a malleko b:assmaster but with my small board, i can't. i'm happy with my mxr blowtorch at the moment.

envelope filter, i have maxon AF9, wet and funky, just the way i like it. i have a bottom feeder which is also a good filter but a bit subtle for me, if you will be interested its in the classified area of the forum.

10. F0URwordLETTER

F0URwordLETTER

Oct 11, 2007
    Philly
    for a filter i would go with a qtron PLus listen to this youtube video http://youtube.com/watch?v=2_XMDheZ37A
    tyler is on TB form to when i heard this video i went out and bought one thanks Tyler