Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me with East Coast

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Nov 13, 2003.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Hello, i have to play a song to my GCSE class i a while. I was thinking of playing East Coast from the rockschool grade 6 book.
    There is a solo in the middle and i have tried to improvise it and its just really naff.
    The chords i need help with are;

Cm7
    Db maj7
    cmaj7
    g7b9

Some arent hard to play, its just to get the right groove to go with the song. CAn anyone help, or give me a basis to work and build on?

2. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I've never learnt that piece but I did buy the book, just to see what grade 6 material was like. To gauge my playing agianst the grade system as it were.

My advice would be to sing along with the recording before you try to play a solo, to get some ideas, try to sing the rhythm you want to play then think about the melody. I find this works cause it's usually a lot easier to sing your ideas than it is to play them.
    The added bonus is that you can be sure the music comes from your head, rather than from your fingers :)

Also, consider that simple bass solos usually sound better that complex one's. Bass is not typically a solo instrument and so doesnt carry huge flurrys of notes so well as an instrument with a higher range like guitar or sax. IMO of course!

Try to find simple a few notes that really outline the changes and incorporate those into your solo.

I'm no soloist - I very rarely solo, that's just how I'd approach it :)

..and for the record, I dont have any grades :rolleyes:

By sheer chance I was at an audition in the form of a jam last night and the guitarist had me playing this progression: Dm7, EbMaj7, DMaj7 - which is the same prog as the first three chords of your progression. The min7 up a semi-tone to a maj7 is nice, you can really make that work to your advantage

Cm7, DbMaj7, CMaj7, G7b9

The G7b9 (V) resolves nicely to the Cm7 (i) the b9 of the G chord (Ab) is the minor 6th of the C chord, I find that a nice note to work around to highlight that change. Probably bit obvious, but if it sounds good...!

good luck