Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me with power amp selection!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MascisMan, Feb 4, 2004.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Ok guys, I need help choosing the right setup. Here is some up front info. I already have a 4 ohm, Ampeg SVT-410HLN (500w RMS/1000w Peak). In the future I am planning on either adding a 1x15, 2x10, or 2x12 extension cab. However in the mean time I have this Ampeg cab that the power amp will be running. I already have a preamp laying around so that is not an issue either.

So I need a power amp that can run this Ampeg cab for now and then I can go stereo once the second cab is purchased down the road. Lets assume the second cab will be able to handle similar loads to the Ampeg for simplicity sake.

So what are your recommendations? QSC? Crown?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    QSC, or Yorkville power amps if you can find them.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have experience with the Crown XLS series. Excellent power amps, and very affordable. For a little more cash, you can go for the XS series. Check them out at http://www.crownaudio.com/amps.htm.

Nothing against the other brands, it's just that I am a Crown guy.

-Mike

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    QSC PLX 2402

5. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    thanks for the responses guys.

bill h- If I went with the 2402 would I just run one side of the stereo side into the Ampeg for now? Correct me if I am wrong but that would be putting 700 watts into the Ampeg right?

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    yes, you can run one cab with one side of the power amp for now. i am not sure on the ratings for that amp, but if it is rated 700 watts per channel at 4ohms, than that is what the Ampeg will be getting.

-Mike

7. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks Mike, I notice a bunch of guys that run way more power into their cabs than what they are rated. How do I know how much is safe? What is a good rule of thumb when matching amp power to cab capacity?

8. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I see Josh. So it is ok to "overpower" a cab as long as you are not trying to make ear drums bleed. So I could safely run around 700-800 watts into my Ampeg as long as I dont have the volume on "10", so to speak.

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    good points Josh. I see what you mean now.