1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help needed in buying an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by verjolas, May 8, 2010.

1. verjolas

verjolas

May 2, 2010
    Hello, I bought my first bass last week and now I'm looking for an amp. I will only play the guitar in my house, I'm not going to perform or something, and I'm also new to bass guitars. Should I buy a small 20 WATT no brand amp for like 100$ or should I spend more and get a small Marshall or something? Will the difference be that significant for me? thanks!

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
  3. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    For home or bedroom use, maybe something with at least a headphone jack so you can practice when other people for some reason don't want to listen and maybe input jacks that allow you to play along with the songs you are learning.

4. WaylonMcFlailin

WaylonMcFlailin

Jan 18, 2010
  5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A small, cheap practice amp is a good idea. Plenty of time to upgrade to a gigging rig later. Even then, you'll want to keep the little one for a handy practice tool. In fact, I just bought a Vox Pathfinder bass amp, (10 watts, 2x5" spkrs) today. Sounds pretty good for a $99. amp, and I have many uses for it. Sometimes a big 300 watt monster is just too much. Look into the Peavey Max, GK Backlines, or even a Vox like mine, and have fun.

6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Found this Roland Bass Cube 30 (pre-owned w/o visible wear) for $99 after purchasing my first bass. I'm still liking it, especially for that price.
    It's like having multiple pedals-built right in...

Alternatively, or in the meantime-you could do as many have, and find a cheapo 'used' guitar amp w/ headphone jack (cancels the speaker) and after plugging in the phones, plug in the bass, and hammer on! The bass would most likely KILL a guitar amp speaker with anything above low, low volume.

-John