Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help needed mesa 400+ anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groovehunter, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Groovehunter

Groovehunter

Dec 3, 2004
    Hi

basically I use a few pedals/stompboxes alongside my mesa boogie bass 400+ and was wondering if someone could help me ensure that my setup is correct in layout terms.

The pedals I use are:
    sansamp bass driver DI
    russian bigg muff
    boss chromatic tuner
    aphex punch factory

basically I pretty much like to leave the sansamp and the aphex unit running constantly, and the muff and tuner of course are used intermittently throughout a gig/practice session -

What is the best way to set this up? Should I run all of these straight into the front of the amp (which I currently do) or could I for instance leave the sansamp and aphex unit running another way i.e is there a better way to do this through the various other inputs on the amp?

Can someone please explain the other inputs to me (effects return/send, and the slave input on the back on the mesa 400+) and explain to me their relevance in my set up query?

Thanks very much

T :hyper:

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I think you are pretty well set the way you are running them now. The FX loop is a better place for time based FX like delay..but the DI and the fuzz are better on the front end before the pre IMO. There are no hard rules..so you should experiment with placement..but I'm thinking you are about right they way you are.

The slave outs are for running more amps and not relevant in your setup.

3. Groovehunter

Groovehunter

Dec 3, 2004
    thanks boss, I was just making sure the way I set up is optimum! cheers

Tim

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I too once would have said to leave the effects send to time based effects however......
    I found that if you have guitar pedal for Distortion?Fuzz, as you do, if you stick it in your effects loop, there is a blend knob that adjusts how much signal you are sending to the pedel and in return how much you are returning to your amp (main signal). Why should you care? Because the Muff, as I am sure you are aware of sucks that precious low end out of your bass, in the effects loop you can sorta "add" that fuzz/OD tone to your signal rather alter your signal all together. Try it, see what you think, Its a new experiment for me, and my OD is going boobies up I think, so I am not 100% sold on this technique.

Also just for the sake of space and such I use the slave out to run my tuner, which is not a pedel just a little boss guy that hangs out on my cab. That works slick, though no tuner mute.