Help Needed with my Delta King OB-20/BLB Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanG, Sep 8, 2018.

1. IvanG

IvanG

Sep 8, 2018
    Miami, Florida
    Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 9.52.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 9.52.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 9.52.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 9.52.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 9.52.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 9.52.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 9.52.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 9.52.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 9.52.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 9.52.55 PM.png

2. IvanG

IvanG

Sep 8, 2018
    Miami, Florida
    A few months back I purchased an Oscar Schmidt OB-20 bass from Mercari. Figuring it was cheap I believed it was going to be an easy fix. All it was missing was a few saddles, a tailpiece, and a bridge. I ordered the correct pieces and took about 2 weeks to arrive after ordering the wrong one before. The bass works and sounds decent and the only problem that I have is whenever I am tuning the bass, the string tension has a tendency to lift the saddles up. I have done extensive google searches to try and fix the problem but cannot seem to find a proper solution. I've tried to put toothpicks inside the cavities where the saddles go into with no success. I've tried to make an entire layer of wall, also with no success. I've considered filling the holes somehow and re-drill the cavities but I'd rather do some research before I go anywhere near my drill. It is a very nice bass guitar and would not like to get rid of it but it seems I am heading towards that direction. Something I also forgot to mention is someone along the way glued down the original saddles to this tune o'matic bass bridge possibly to counter the exact same problem they were having as me. I removed the original saddles using a heat gun and came to that conclusion. I made this account because I had nowhere to turn to and hopefully there would be someone out there to help me. Thanks.

3. RubioClaves

RubioClaves

Jan 28, 2017
    Austin Tx
    b50_tailpeice.jpg That's a tough one , either plug and redrill or maybe try something like this perhaps.

4. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    This is fairly common on Epiphone Tune-o-Matic bridges. String tension is unseating the ferrules into which the height adjustment bolts thread. Loosen the strings to get the tension off the tailpiece, remove the bolts and tailpiece, apply some non-permanent adhesive to the bolt ferrules and tap them lightly into place. Once the glue has set, redo your set-up. If the tailpiece remains in place but the bridge still puills forward, see if you cannot effect a similar fix with the bridge.

All this being said, I second @RubioClaves suggestion above. Ditch all that heavy metal and get a short trapeze tailpiece (like for a violin bass) and a wooden floating bridge. Your bass will be lighter and look better.

5. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Hartsdale, NY
    How would you fill the holes left by removing the original tailpiece? I have this same issue with my Epi Jack Casady.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021