1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help, P Bass Pickup Noise

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JJThunder, Aug 18, 2012.

1. JJThunder

JJThunder

Jan 8, 2012
    Hi Talkbass :)

I recently finished a series of modifications on a Squier P Bass and one of the modifications was the fitting of a new Seymour Duncan SPB3 Quarter Pounder pickup. The guitar itself sounds brilliant but the bass has a bad earthing issue which seemed to trigger itself at a gig 4 or so weeks ago. Once i tried it at home after the gig, the earthing issue was still there but it was no way near as bad as before but the pickup on the E and A Strings was earthing out badly if i touched the pole peice or the plastic casing.

I have since had the bass taken to a technician who told me that my wiring was incorrect and that he had re wired it so it was like a P Bass with a TBX.

The bass doesnt earth as badly as it did before but the pickup is still noisy to the touch and still earths on the plastic casing and pole peices. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

It is not a grounding issue, it is a shielding issue. If the noise gets louder when you touch the strings/bridge/metal you have a grounding issue, if the noise gets more quiet when you touch strings/bridge/metal you have a shielding issue.

Give your bass a proper shielding job and your issue will almost assuredly go away.

3. JJThunder

JJThunder

Jan 8, 2012

This may seem like another dumb question but is the issue damaging in any way? Its just ive got a gig coming up and i wanted to use the P but obviously, i dont want to damage it more by using it with this problem.

Sorry for being such an Electronics Noob :p

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    The sound will damage your reputation if you are not careful.