1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP PLEASE Crackle/Popping issue

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Iceman327, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Iceman327

Iceman327

Jul 24, 2012
    I'm trying to record directly from my bass amp's line out jack right into my computer's line in jack.

I'm using AVS Audio Editor software to record.

My issues are crackles and popping noises.

The Software does have some filters I can use to reduce the noise, but that makes the audio change tone and loses volume.

Any tips to remove this unwanted noise and have just a clear signal being recorded?

2. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    You're definitely going to get a lot of crackles, hiss and pops this way. Also the tone is going to be what I call "up to its eyeballs in mud."

You'll need to get yourself an audio interface. They can be picked up pretty cheap brabd new, and even cheaper second hand. I have a Line 6 UX1 for small setups. It's a great little interface with great tonal quality and it came with Pod Farm that has tons of bass amp models. Sounds great :)

If you don't want to do this, you should try lowering the output volume on your amp. A lot of pops and crackles appear from clipping (when the input volume is louder than the maximum capability of the equipment.) The hiss though. Try moving away from electrical gear, outputs, fridges, tvs. Stuff like that. Even an old CRT monitor will introduce a hissor buzz. It may even be something inside the computer itself.

You can record some of the hiss and then notch out the frequencies it has, might helpto clean it up, but like you said, it'd probably result in some tone damage.

Hope some of that helps :)

3. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    1. Your line in is stereo and your line out on amp is mono.
    2. It's prob overdriving the line in.
    3. Your PC soundcard is 16 bit and can't handle as much dynamic range as a 24 bit interface.
    4. Your PC soundcard is prob $5.00 worth of cheap components.
    5. If PC sound cards worked well for recording, there would not be a bazillion brands of recording interfaces as there would be no market for them.

Get a real interface if you want any sort of quality.