1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Spector material

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dukeisdog, Apr 20, 2010.

1. A friend of a friend of mine is selling a Spector NS-2 bass. He says it was made in Japan when Spector stopped making basses in america about 20 years ago, and he is selling it for very cheap.

He is asking $450 for it,

He said the only number he could find on the bass was "NS-6261"

Is the bass worth 450? If so, how much?

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    That's a terrible deal. Please give me his phone number and address so I can tell him.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Are you looking to buy it or are you looking for info for selling it?

4. I'm looking to buy it.

I don't know much about spectors or Japanese spectors, but I can tell you I just about **** myself when I thought it was an american NS-2 for $450.

I am now a little more calm that I know it isn't american, but I would still like more info on it so I can decide if I want it.

5. Like this, with a curved body?
    http://www.spectorbass.com/NewFiles/modelhistoryfiles/ns2a.html
    From the serial it sounds like a Korean NS2A which was their budget model at the time. IMO it's most of a Spector but doesn't sound like the higher end models. $450 is fair but not great if the bass is in good shape and plays well.

6. brett7276

brett7276 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    NS-2A's will have black hardware, dot inlays and usally "Spector pickups" and are made in Korea. Not bad basses, but not anywhere near the real deal. $450 is fair but not a steal

An NS-2 will of that era will have the tamahawk inlays and EMG pickups/HAZ Labs pre. and for the $450 you'd be a fool not to buy one.

That said- I have a good friend who had EMG's added to his NS2A added a HAZ Lab Preamp and had a new fingerboard laid with the correct inlay fretwork etc- and was still in under $1500 and his hotrod plays every bit as nice as either one of my NS-2's

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Yep, def sounds like an NS2A. Offer him $375 for it and swap the Spector pickups for EMG's.... et voila, superb bass!