1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Squier Standard Precision 5-string pickup.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassist4dalord, Oct 10, 2010.

1. :help: Hey! I just got a 5-string Squier Standard Precision, the one with two Jazz pickups. I want to replace the stock (crap) pickups. A fellow TBer offered me his Squier Affinity Jazz V pickups. I just wanted to get some opinions to see if they'll fit. I don't have experience with measuring pickups.. I tried; they seem to be 3 9/16" in the neck and 3 5/8" in the bridge, but again, I have no idea.

Any Squier P5 owners replaced their pickups?? Let me know!! :help:

utku likes this.
  2. Bump?

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you've measured one set, why not just measure the other set?

also, what makes you think one set of squier pickups is any better than another?

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Squier Affinity pickups would be a nice improvement because they are real five string jazz pickups. The Squier PRecision V has four pole piece pickups, and many of them have extremely weak b strings because of it.

5. There ya go! My 5-string P w/ J pickups has 4-string pickups in a 5-string housing.

Dr. Cheese: You think they'll fit?

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Probably, if they don't it will fit with very minor modification.

7. Thanks for all of the help guys. I really appreciate it!

8. Just ordered a set of MIM Standard Jazz V pickups from a TBer. Thanks again guys!

9. boombiscuits

boombiscuits

Jan 7, 2012
    Curious...how did it go with getting the replacement pups installed? I just got one of these Squiers and will likely need to follow suit.

10. Upon receiving the replacement pickups, I found that standard Jazz V pickups will not fit. So, I still currently have the stock pickups. I'm toying with a couple of different options, but almost all of them require routing the body. Squier really did us bad with these pickup dimensions.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Here's the answer:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/squier-precision-5-string-club-770662/index7.html

(Search function is your friend)
    My modded bass down at bottom of page.

Note that bridge Dimarzio Ultra J is only a tiny bit too long that is easily fixed with Dremel and a tiny sanding drum tool. Use the smaller 1/4" one rather than the 1/2" sanding drum.

Also note that if you go with real P pickups as I did (makes one absolute KILLER bass!) all of the "hideous bathtub rout" ends up under the pickguard where it can't be seen. Or if you like you can get both Demarzios and keep it two jazz pickups. Which again may only require some minor sanding.

The size and pole spacing on the Dimarzios 5s are perfect for these Squiers. And they are rather inexpensive (compared to some others) too.

Good luck.

PS. Those cheap Chinese digital calipers (like from Harbor Freight) are just the ticket for measuring pickups and routs!

12. Please note that it was me who started the club thread after I had posted this thread. I merely replied to someone's recent question, which is why this was bumped to the top. Thank you.

13. Phil Hendren

Phil Hendren

Dec 4, 2011
    Hey can i join the club? Just bought a Squier Standard Precision 5 string in black metallic! Plays really well, sounds great. I dont have the problem with the b and g strings that some have talked about. I did remove the pickguard and clean and removed the neck pickup but it is a sealed unit. Cant tell if its 4 pole or 5.. It only says 5-ST(F) on the pickup, no brand name or id.. It has a grounding issue but i cant find it. Everything is looks wired correctly and bridge ground is connected.. Thanks for any info, Phil

14. utku

utku

Nov 11, 2015
    hi im writing for a problem about a squier bass there are two powersound pickups on the pre bass do you think its good enough to play ... its sound like cort guitars?? because same pickups use by cort...

and this is it
    2004 squier precision 5 telli - En Uygun Squier Gitar Fiyatları sahibinden.com'da - 231925298

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021