Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Sterling distortion!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leftyguy81, Feb 23, 2006.

1. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    Hello folks, i just got a new EBMM sterling, and when i dig in at band volume it gets an aweful distortion. i just changed the battery and it did not solve the problem....any suggestions?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    what are you using for an amp? If it is nice and clean at lower volumes, and gets distorted when you turn up, you are probably overdriving the preamp.

3. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    have a qscplx3002 with a sansamp rbi into an ampeg 810

4. My experience with my Sterling is that when battery goes down, it starts to distort which supports your theory. BUT on the other hand if the battery is new, my bet would be the amp farting out. The Sterling pumps out some serious low booty, hows your settings (on the bass) if you boost the bass on the bass your amp will be more prone to distorting.:cool:

5. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Hey man, you posted this on the EB forum and recieved about 5 different suggestions to try. Have you tried any of them yet?

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    My Sterling's preamp is VERY hot and it's pretty easy to distort a preamp with even moderate EQ settings on the bass. If you're going to crank it, turn the input gain way down.

That's one possible solution anyhow.

7. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Or, better yet, if your pre has a pad button, that's what it's for! Any modern pre should be able to handle the hot signal from an active bass with out rigging the gain structure.