Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"HELP" Theodor Heuber ????

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by funkgod, Nov 5, 2003.

1. funkgod

funkgod

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    hello to all .. i am trying to trace the maker of my bass can anybody help ????
    its a 3/4 round back spruce top, inside on a slip of wood it says "Theodor Heuber-Wien" in black German script Any information at all would be Great,, if anyone is intrested i can send some photo's if these will help ???
    Regards,,,,Chris

2. I couldn't find anything on this maker/brand in any of my usual research sources.

3. Looks like it´s been stripped down with some liquid solvent..you have any idea who done it and why? Also if you have any info about the bass´ age, previous owners or how did it come to you, it might help.
    R2

4. funkgod

funkgod

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Hello,,,yes the finish has been taken off,, it had what looked like fence paint on it, so i am in the middle of striping and refinishing it in some nice new varnish from them nice guys at "Hammerl" ( fantastic backup service thanks guys ) my friend owns a db/violin shop and seems to think its about 1850ish. History ??? 0, the last owner is no longer here and no family ,,,
    Regards,,, Chris
    ps.. here is a pic fo the signiture see att

5. Wein=Vienna. Can you post some pics not so close, but full, so we can see the form amd the scroll!!
    Back and ribs! Thanks

6. funkgod

funkgod

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Hello Paul,,, Hay thanks for looking,,,See att
    Regards, Chris

7. funkgod

funkgod

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    And another see att

8. funkgod

funkgod

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    And Another ..is there any way i can put multiple
    photo's on this site ??? Regards Chris

9. Chris, other than being able to tell you that Mr. Hueber made this bass in Vienna...It just looks like a middle of the road carved-German style shop bass. Nothing outstanding as far as I can tell. Probably will sound pretty good....Unless you **** it up!

10. One thing rather confusing is those little dark dots in the corners and button. Can you tell are they decorative inlays or some kind of reinforcements? Paul? Anybody?
    R2

11. These dots are usually invisible........They're locator pegs and holes. The "male" peg, usually in the corner block, slides into the"female" hole prior to glueing and clamping on the top to hold it down and position it.
    I'm getting excited!!
    You're not supposed to go all the way through with the drill so you can see it.
    the back ones are probably to help hold together a neck block repair. Or just more locators.

12. Usually, a maker using pins will locate the (small) holes at the corner and end blocks on the purfling line so that once the purfling is installed, it will cover the hole and pin. I suspect in this case some of these "dots" are the ends of dowel pins that some less than expert repairer used so he could get proper alignment of the top or back back after doing internal repairs. The rest may have been done just to make it look like it was supposed to be that way.

13. Is there an echo in here?

14. funkgod

funkgod

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Hay,,, now we are getting somewhere keep it coming guy’s..the pins are made of ebony I was told that these were put on some bass's to strengthen the front and back if the bass was ordered or going to to a humid climate ??? and Paul yes it does sound good all the notes swell with sustain and with a with a low action i still get the power and loudness with the "Realist" she Realy is the dogs,, that top just sings with very little effort from me,, it a love Thang yanow ,,,Thanks 4 all your efforts guys,,, More More more Regards,,Ch

15. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The ebony pins are not for structure, and certainly do not have a relationship with the instrument's overall atmospheric humidity w/the environment. They are sometimes installed by makers/repairers in assistance to re-glueing the top onto the ribs. Did the seller tell you otherwise?

16. I have seen the light!
    Haven´t seen many of that kind of pins, though. Obviously all explanations have a strong relationship with the Truth.
    Now, I looked the pics once again and there are "locator pins" all around, both in top and bottom. They are of course more visible since the finish has been stripped down. The question is did the maker install them right in the beginning of the mounting process, and covered them with dark finish, or has some luthier put them on the bass afterwards? And how does this affect to the Luthier Prime Directive? I mean, drilling holes to top and bottom plates and driving such a visible rod straight through them and to the blocks inside the bass sounds something I wouldn´t allow to be done to MY bass,
    even if it helps in mounting the plates. How about when you have to take them apart?
    This IS getting interesting...

R2