Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help: trying to identify/date some P Bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rboyce, Oct 18, 2005.

1. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hi.

I just bought a used P Bass Pickup on the 'bay that was sold to me as taken from a "American P Bass", but I'm not convinced of this. There is a number on the bottom of the pickup - "048614". I assume this is a Fender part number? I tried wading through the mnay on-line Parts Lists pdf files on the Fender web site, but I could not find a match.

Can anyone out there confirm what Fender P Basses (if any) used a pickup with the number "048614" stamped on the back?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador

According to the Ebay Item.. it is a serial number. and in no place that auction says "American"
    It came out from a Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special

The pickup is this: Vintage Special P-Bass Pickup , made with alnico polepieces.

Where did I get this info?

I work for the NSA, and I know all your moves.

3. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That would be a funny post if you were correct, but you are wrong.

The ebay item # is 735613709. It is clearly stated in the auction description (as well as through emails with the seller) that it came out of a 2001 Fender American Precision bass.

Hah!

Anybody else out there with some helpful info?

Thanks,

ray

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Ok I wanted to be funny...
    BUT.

now for real.. The info I posted is correct in what matters to you.

That number is present in the pickups that come of a Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special and has THE SAME NUMBER on the bottom as yours.
    So the pickup is the SAME.

The pickup is this: Vintage Special P-Bass Pickup , made with alnico polepieces.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
  6. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Luis -

Thanks...I understand your point. That's a good start in trying to track down this pickup. However, this info neither confirms nor rules out that my pickup came out of a 2001 USA P Bass. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't.

For example, couldn't the same pickup (based on the part #) be used in many different models of Fender P Basses (not just the "Deluxe P Bass Special" that you found on eBay)? Also, doesn't Fender make Deluxe P Bass Specials in Indonesia, Mexico and the USA? So, in theory, this pickup could have potentially been manufactured anywhere.

All I'm really trying to figure out if this pickup is 1) a genuine Fender and 2) made in the USA.

It would be great if the Fender web site had a searchable parts database, but it doesn't. Unless I'm missing something.

Thanks again,

ray

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Oh I see...

Most posibly it is made in U.S.A. and the same pickups are used on the Special, wich is Mexican.

I have searched everywhere I can on that part number, and No, there is no info on that, and we can think that it is in fact a Part Number and not a serial...

A normal number for a US P Bass Pickup is 2046-000

Somebody here could check his American P Bass to check the number. So.. Im out! Have no power here.

8. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    FWIW...someone from Fender customer support actually responded to my question regarding the origin of this pickup. I'm updating this thread with his info with the hope that it will help someone else out at some point down the road:

---------------------------------------

Hello,
    The number on the bottom is actually the part number for the pickup bobbin. These specific bobbins are indeed the ones that are used for the American Series (standard) P-Bass pickups. Below are some specs for you.
    Best regards,
    John-
    Fender Musical Instrumets

Pickup: American Standard Precision
    Position: Rhythm (Toward Neck)
    Used On Models: American Standard Precision Bass
    American Deluxe Precision Bass
    California P-Bass Special
    American Standard Precision Left Handed
    Part Number: 0056004000
    Description: The P-Bass has been at the heart of popular music for five decades. This is the bass sound heard on countless popular recordings, live performances, and is the most recognized sound throughout the music world. The classic split pickup design is humbucking, and the pickups
    are offset to produce the unique qualities of tone found only with the P-Bass. The Standard series P-Bass pickups maintain this tradition with a sound that is smooth and punchy, and the woody tone quality the P-Bass is known for.
    Wire: #42 Polysol
    Turns: 10,000
    Bobbin: Plastic
    Magnet: Alnico 5 Level
    Polarity: North
    DC Resistance: 5.30 K - 5.90 K Ohms (10.5 K Ohms Both Coils)
    Inductance: 5.9 Henries (Both Coils)
    DC Resistance: 5.30 K - 5.90 K Ohms (10.5 K Ohms Both Coils)
    Appearance Details: Classic Fender split coil humbucking design, Ainico 5 magnets, flush magnet array / non staggered, polysol magnet wire, vintage construction, plastic pickup covers. Changed from Fiber to Plastic bobbin in 1999

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:50 PM
    To: Consumer Relations
    Subject: Can you help me identify some Fender P Bass pickups?

Hi.

I just bought some used P Bass Pickups that was sold to me as taken from
    a
    Fender "American P Bass", but I'm not convinced that it is. There is a
    number on the bottom of the pickup - "048614". I assume this is a Fender
    part number? I tried wading through the many on-line Parts Lists pdf
    files
    on the Fender web site, but I could not find a match. (A searchable
    Parts
    database would be really helpful).

Could you confirm what Fender P Basses (if any) used a pickup with the
    number "048614" stamped on the back?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

9. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    I just pulled some pickups out of my 2004 Fender "Deluxe Precision Bass Special", which is a passive MIM P-Bass with a P-J pickup set and V/V/T controls. I found the number 048614 on the P-pickup bobbins and searched TB for "048614" to figure out what I had.

The bobbin numbers on the bottom of the P-Bass pickups are 048614. So it seems that the other poster is correct -- those bobbins are indeed from the pickups for an MIM Deluxe P-Bass Special.

It's interesting that in response to your inquiry, Fender responded that these bobbins are "from an American P-Bass." I think you told them what you wanted to hear in your email, and they responded with the answer that you said that you wanted to hear.

The specs for the Mexican Deluxe Precision Bass Special say nothing at all about the bass having "American" pickups. The line sheet from 2003-2004 only says that the P-type pickups are a "Standard Alnico Split Single-Coil Precision Bass Pickup". The specs say nothing about using "American" pickups in the Mexican bass.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the pickup's identity, just because you've ID'd the number on the plastic bobbin. It's entirely likely that several different pups are wound using the same plastic bobbin and that part number won't tell us much.

10. MikeTranch

MikeTranch

Aug 30, 2016
    Hi All, my first post to TalkBass. I found this thread by googling "p bass pickup 048614." I got a 2014 Fender American Special P Bass, brand new at GC. It has this same pickup, or at least the same number. It has yellow, white and black plastic wires. It's wired in series. It's not clear to me if this "bobbin number" could have been used on various pickups (e.g. different wire or magnets)?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pretty sure that's the American Standard pickup, or as I call it, the worst pickup in the history of Precision basses.