Help w Noise Schecter 5 String

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by laststand, Sep 8, 2017.

1. laststand

laststand

Feb 1, 2011
    Hi Guys:

I've been lurking here for years, but still consider myself quite green.

I have a Schecter Raiden Elite 5 String bass that I bought new. It has EMG MMHZ pickups. I play at my church, and my bass is picking up noise, I believe from the lighting. No issues with other electric and acoustic electric guitars. The sound will go up and down depending on if I turn 90 degrees. Have tried with and without the ground lift on a Hartke Bass Attack 2. Everything but my guitar has been swapped in and out.

What would you folks suggest to eliminate the noise? The sound guys say it's my pickups? I'm not a pickup expert or electrician. ;-)

Help is MUCH appreciated!

Lee

2. laststand

laststand

Feb 1, 2011
    No suggestions?

3. laststand

laststand

Feb 1, 2011
    Am I invisible?

4. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
  5. laststand

laststand

Feb 1, 2011

XANDRELL, thanks for the reply. We are not using an amp. Sound is going through the sound system direct and we use a monitor system. I'm plugged into a Hartke Bass Attack II, which handles ground lift and such. It really seems to be related to the lighting in the room. If I turn 90 degrees, the hum will go down. Schecter suggested a noise gate, but others I have spoken to say that is not good solution. I've ordered a set of active pickups from EMG, so going to give that a go. Just wondered if anyone has had similar issues and how they have solved.

6. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    Sounds like a shielding problem, although people with noise from shielding problems have just installed better pups and the noise diminished.

7. laststand

laststand

Feb 1, 2011
    That's what I've been told. I guess my question is, how does one resolve "shielding problems" in general aside from changing components? I work quite a bit with computers, so when I get the new pups and BTS system, I'm also going to attempt to put some thin copper shielding around everything possible. EMG says the new system is super easy to install and basically like assembling a lego set. No soldering, etc.

8. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
  9. laststand

laststand

Feb 1, 2011
    Thanks for the link. Looks like they have some helpful products!

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Does the noise stop when you touch metal/strings/bridge on the bass? If so, shielding will resolve your issue. If not, shielding will do nothing for your issue. A quick search reveals that your pickup can be installed in single coil mode. If the noise does not stop when you touch metal, I would imagine the pickup is in single coil mode and you are experiencing 60hz hum. EMG shields their pickups prior to potting them into the cases so, although possible, it is unlikely that your bass needs shielding.

Stew Mac shielding paint is a low quality product with a high quality price tag. I would not recommend using it. I use MG Chemicals Supershield. It is a superior produt in terms of durability, performance, and price. I would also not recommend getting copper foil tape from Stew Mac as it is over priced. I would shop on Ebay or Amazon for conductive adhesive copper foil tape.

11. laststand

laststand

Feb 1, 2011

Thanks for the additional information. No, touching the strings/bridge doesn't change the hum. My new EMG pups should be here today. I'll be playing Thursday, so hopefully I'll have them in and can see where I'm at. EMG offers a 30 day return period, so I figured this is worth a shot.

12. laststand

laststand

Feb 1, 2011
    OK guys and gals:

For what it's worth. I tried the copper shielding on my guitar with the existing EMG Mhz passive pickups. It looks like a satellite in there now. Made absolutely NO difference. Yesterday, I took my new EMG Active CS pickups and the BTS system and gave my Schecter a thorough bassectomy. The only wires I kept were the battery holder and wires. Tried it today at Church, and SILENCE! Yes, no noise. Worked great. The output level is substantially higher as well. The only down side is that the treble, bass and balance controls make almost no difference in the sound. Very minimal compared to the passive system. So I have to depend on my Hartke Bass Attack for sound shaping.

There are some dip switches on one of the BTS pots that are supposed to provide some options on the sound shape, I have to mess with those. Overall, I would say I am pleased with the upgrade.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021