Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! Warwick Thumb Bolt-On Problem!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassIan, Dec 26, 2003.

1. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Hi there. Today as I was jamming, I noticed that the the small bolt holding the height adjustment on the neck pickup's treble side had backed out. On trying to thread it back in, I noticed that it didn't want to hold, as though something was stripped. Just for whatever it's worth, this is the 6 string model with the soapbar pickups. I've noticed on Warwick's 4 and 5 string Thumb Bolt Ons, the J style pickups use 4 bolts per unit, as opposed to 2 per unit with the 6 string. This shouldn't make a difference though if the thread tolerances (as mentioned below) are correct.

I proceeded to remove the pickup and inspect the fasteners. There was no visible damage to the threads on the bolts, nor was there any visible damage to, or debris from the brass threaded inserts the bolts thread into. I did notice that the thread tolerance between the bolt and the brass insert at every location, not just the one in question, was extremely loose. Having plenty of experience with mechanical work, I have a good idea of how thread tolerances should feel, and this is not right to me. As a temporary fix, I've removed the spring on that side of the pickup, so it won't push the bolt out again.

I am wondering if any other Warwick owners (or owners of other basses) have had the same experience, and if so how did you go about fixing it? I plan to visit Long and McQuade tomorrow and talk to them about it, but I wanted to hear from you guys in case there was something I should know or am missing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Elmer's wood filler. It is your friend.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i would use loc-tite

steve

5. BassIan

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Since these bolts are threading into brass inserts (nice touch, in my opinion, if they were fitting the bolts properly), wood filler probably isn't the best option. I've considered threadlock. I am going to my store today to see what they say. If anybody has experienced this before, what have you done?

6. Did you mean J-style pups?

I can't say I've ever seen a thumb with P's on it.

:confused:

7. BassIan

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Yup, that's what I meant... lol

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist

Are they open today??? My store isn't...good luck solving that problem, I'm curious to here the results!

9. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

Try tapping or repositoning the brass stud into the body. Just pull it out, turn it a little stick it back in, push hard. a little glue will do.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm moving this to Setup...

11. BassIan

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    How do you suggest removing these brass studs? Also, if I do find that they are damaged or need replacing for some reason, is there somewhere that sells these in a mainstream fashion or is it likely a Warwick-specific piece?