1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help wiring a piezo with its own, separate, input

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dstronge, Dec 19, 2011.

1. dstronge

dstronge

Dec 19, 2011
    I am modifying an old bass and i replaced the bridge with a piezo. the bridge is on its own output - so all of the electronics will be separate from the magnetic pickups (which are passive anyway). my question is, can i simply hook the bridge up to a preamp by itself, without any other mag pickups? would i need a magnetic buffer? and would the volume and tone pots connected to the preamp affect the piezo?

thank you for any help with this.

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I think the word you're looking for is output.

3. You will want a buffer with a relatively high input impedance. Most preamps meant for magnetic pickups have a 1M Ohms input impedance. Perhaps 10M Ohms would be better with piezos. The magnetic pickups then need to be buffered so that you can combine them with the output of the piezo buffer.

4. dstronge

dstronge

Dec 19, 2011
    my issue is im not hooking the piezo up with any other pickups - as in the piezo has its own separate output, and the magnetic pickups have another, completely independent output. i guess my question is how would i hook up the piezo in this case as all the wiring diagrams i have found are for including a piezo into an already existing preamp / active pickup setup.