Help with a Second Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robjs, Dec 20, 2004.

1. robjs

Dec 19, 2004

I've not been playing bass that long, maybe a year or so now. When I bought the bass I've got now (it's some Encore model), it was in mind that I probably wouldn't play much. I'm finding myself playing more and more, and basically want to jam in a band at some point. The Encore has a lot of buzz through any amp as far as I can see, and really light, poor construction is getting me down.

I'd like to get a really clean tone, something like that of Scott Owen (plays in the Living End on a double bass). I play a bit of everything, so I'd like something versatile. I appreciate that the clean tone is going to be a lot to do with my playing, but I'd like to upgrade. I'm looking at up to around £500, which is around $750 in USD (I think, given that stuff is more expensive here).

I've looked at some of the Yamaha stuff, and the MusicMan Sub (which looks pretty cool and is slightly over my budget - I think I can stretch to it though).

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated,

2. Cort Curbows are EXTREMELY clean, especially in recording. And well under your price range! All Bartolini electronics combined with the Luthite body and Ebanol fretboard make it clean as a whistle.
  3. robjs

Dec 19, 2004
    I played the SUB today, and man, that's a beatiful bass, sounds clean and lovely.

I'll have a look at the Corts when I go shopping again tomorrow :)
  4. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ