help with a stingray

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nathan, Oct 23, 2004.

1. nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    I bought a stingray from ebay a couple months ago. I got it for cheap because he said it had a tiny tiny little bit of buzz. It kinda has a lot. Is there anything I can do besides raising the action and adjusting the truss rod to minimize the buzz? should I buy a lower or higher guage string or anything? advice is appreciated.
  2. nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    Im pretty much a beginner when it comes to setup. All I know is how to raise the action and adjust the truss rod. Anything you could tell me would be great.
  3. IMHO, just take it in and have it set up by a pro, and have your favorite set of strings put on it while youre at it. Anytime you buy a used bass its a good idea to have it properly set up, unless you have quite a bit of experience at doing it yourself. Its amazing how a little bit of work will change a bass's playability.

Just my .02
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  5. Definitely take it in. There are things your local twang-doodle repair guy can do that you can't (or just shouldn't) do at home.
  6. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I had the same situation with a Stingray I bought off of a guy from here. I got a great deal and the '93 Ray was in excellent condition. It just had quite a bit of fret wear; which the guy was totally honest about. I took it to a tech in my local area and he did a fret dressing and a set up. He filed and leveled all the frets and it's SMOKIN' now. It's definitely worth it.