Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with a stingray

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nathan, Oct 23, 2004.

1. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    I bought a stingray from ebay a couple months ago. I got it for cheap because he said it had a tiny tiny little bit of buzz. It kinda has a lot. Is there anything I can do besides raising the action and adjusting the truss rod to minimize the buzz? should I buy a lower or higher guage string or anything? advice is appreciated.
    -nathan

2. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    Im pretty much a beginner when it comes to setup. All I know is how to raise the action and adjust the truss rod. Anything you could tell me would be great.
    thanks
    -Nathan

3. IMHO, just take it in and have it set up by a pro, and have your favorite set of strings put on it while youre at it. Anytime you buy a used bass its a good idea to have it properly set up, unless you have quite a bit of experience at doing it yourself. Its amazing how a little bit of work will change a bass's playability.

Just my .02

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  5. Definitely take it in. There are things your local twang-doodle repair guy can do that you can't (or just shouldn't) do at home.

6. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I had the same situation with a Stingray I bought off of a guy from here. I got a great deal and the '93 Ray was in excellent condition. It just had quite a bit of fret wear; which the guy was totally honest about. I took it to a tech in my local area and he did a fret dressing and a set up. He filed and leveled all the frets and it's SMOKIN' now. It's definitely worth it.