Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with amp selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by user, Oct 26, 2003.

1. user

user

Oct 26, 2003
    Chicago
    I currently use an old Acoustic 450 amp with an Ampeg 1510HE cab (1 15", 1 10" and a horn). I'm looking for an upgrade for the amp. I've narrowed it down to:

High end:

SWR 350X
    Ampeg B5R
    Hartke 7000

Low end:
    Ampeg B2R
    Hartke 3500

I'm leaning towards the SWR because of the Aural Enhancer,SubWave and the overall quality of the rack unit itself. It seems a better deal than the B5R, same price, but I'm more familiar with Ampeg stuff. The Hartke seems like such a deal when you look at the price - bi ampable, lots of poer, etc.. Why is Hartke so much cheaper?
    On the other side of the spectrum, I'm looking at cheaper heads. If I went with the hartke 3500, I'd have enough to buy a 4-10 cab for about the same price as the SWR head alone.
    What I'm looking for is something to cut through the mix live with a guitarist using a Marshall stack. I'll probably run this head through my current Ampeg 1510HE and later get an additional 4-10 or perhaps just a 2-10. I'm going to be playing metal/hard rock, tuned 1/2 step to 1 step lower.
    is the SWR my best choice?

2. user

user

Oct 26, 2003
    Chicago
    no one have any advice? Does Hartke suck? if I got the 3500, I'd get one of the cheaper VX series cabs.

3. I'd get the hartke 3500 instead of the 7000, unless you really need bi-amp. Actually, I am not a huge fan of the ampeg b series, if I am buying ampeg, i'd get a svt-cl, 4 pro, or 2 pro. Haven't had much experience with SWR. So, i'd say the hartke 3500.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not in your list of choices but a rig I would definitely consider:

- a 1000W Carvin R head
    - a Genz-Benz 215B (Live Series) which operates at 4 ohms.
    That cab's ohmage enables you to use the Carvin's full 1000 watts. Loud and punchy as all get out and cracks concrete.......and no, I'm not saying this because I own that set-up.