Help with amp selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by user, Oct 26, 2003.

1. user

Oct 26, 2003
    I currently use an old Acoustic 450 amp with an Ampeg 1510HE cab (1 15", 1 10" and a horn). I'm looking for an upgrade for the amp. I've narrowed it down to:

High end:

SWR 350X
    Ampeg B5R
    Hartke 7000

Low end:
    Ampeg B2R
    Hartke 3500

I'm leaning towards the SWR because of the Aural Enhancer,SubWave and the overall quality of the rack unit itself. It seems a better deal than the B5R, same price, but I'm more familiar with Ampeg stuff. The Hartke seems like such a deal when you look at the price - bi ampable, lots of poer, etc.. Why is Hartke so much cheaper?
    On the other side of the spectrum, I'm looking at cheaper heads. If I went with the hartke 3500, I'd have enough to buy a 4-10 cab for about the same price as the SWR head alone.
    What I'm looking for is something to cut through the mix live with a guitarist using a Marshall stack. I'll probably run this head through my current Ampeg 1510HE and later get an additional 4-10 or perhaps just a 2-10. I'm going to be playing metal/hard rock, tuned 1/2 step to 1 step lower.
    is the SWR my best choice?
  2. user

Oct 26, 2003
    no one have any advice? Does Hartke suck? if I got the 3500, I'd get one of the cheaper VX series cabs.
  3. I'd get the hartke 3500 instead of the 7000, unless you really need bi-amp. Actually, I am not a huge fan of the ampeg b series, if I am buying ampeg, i'd get a svt-cl, 4 pro, or 2 pro. Haven't had much experience with SWR. So, i'd say the hartke 3500.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not in your list of choices but a rig I would definitely consider:

- a 1000W Carvin R head
    - a Genz-Benz 215B (Live Series) which operates at 4 ohms.
    That cab's ohmage enables you to use the Carvin's full 1000 watts. Loud and punchy as all get out and cracks concrete.......and no, I'm not saying this because I own that set-up.