1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP with Ampeg 8x10 problem.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dilngr4, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Dilngr4

Dilngr4

Feb 21, 2007
    Hey guys/gals.

So i bought my ampeg 8x10 cabinet a few years ago. I Literally loaded in for 5 shows before the vinyl that they put on the outside of it started stripping off. I have since toured and toured and toured and its only gotten worse. The thing has looked extremely ratty now for 5 years. I kept telling myself i was going to resurface it and do something with it, but i procrastinate.

...until today. I woke up on a mission and after taking all of the hardware off it and stripping the rest of the vinyl off, I sanded it down decently with a belt sander...

Now my question is this:

Do i stain it black then apply some lacquer? Will that wood take to black stain ok, or will it be spotty? Will this start looking like crap after a couple months with wood chipping, even with lacquer coating? I just dont know...what do you guys think i should do???

Thanks alot.
    -Lee.

2. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    maybe you could use some truck liner coat it's a very hard coating that even are used in some cabs (look at the ashdown labs cabs they use it)
    not sure about the exact name though

3. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    Herculiner.. use the roller to apply it..

or, take it somewhere and have it shot with Rhinoliner.. most truck bed places will shoot your cab for you.. but, you have to empty the cab completely and tape off everything that you do not want to get covered in bedliner.. this really is the best way, as they heat up the bedliner before spraying it, and it makes it stick better..

and they have colored liner that they can spray..

it would be cool to have a bright red 8x10 cab.. ;)

4. Limlam

Limlam

Jun 9, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    i think they have more character once they are showing some wear, after all if it works fine who cares what it looks like

5. 0utlier

0utlier

Feb 21, 2006
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I just rolled the truck liner on my Ampeg 6x10 and it came out pretty good. For the $30 in materials, I'm happy with it. It looks better than torn tolex and definitely stronger for sure. I'm sure having it professionally shot at rhino linings or line-x would look pro, but I imagine it would cost more than $30 too.

[​IMG]

6. Bryan316

Bryan316 Inactive

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I'ma say Rhinolinings is your best option. I've helped a fellow bassist with his Fridge Ampeg cab (loaded with 410 and a 15 in the bottom, jealous!) and he planned to get his Rhinolined. I gave him the contact info and they said they'd do it for him for $100. Fair price for a very very durable solution. If it comes out half as well as my truck bed, you'll have to attack it with a machete before it rips off.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021