1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with an ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by musician3030, Mar 11, 2010.

1. musician3030

musician3030

Mar 11, 2010
    Hi, I just recently purchased 2 Genz-Benz cabs, 2X10 up top, and 2X15 at the bottom, which are parallel, and discontinued as well, I bought it used, I also purchased an LH500 Hartke head unit that has 8 ohm's on each speaker output in the back, the 10's are 8 ohm's and the 15's are 4 ohm's, will the head unit work with both cabinets?? the cabs themselves can take up to 750 watts I believe, I need to know soon, so, if the head won't work, I need to send it back. Thank You, you can also email me at chris78787878@gmail.com to let me know, thanks!

2. Depends on what the head will go down to with its min OHM load. If it is 4ohms then NO it will not work. With both those cabinets running in parallel with each other the ohm load would be less than 4 and could harm your head. If however your head can go to 2ohms then you will be fine, however the 215 cabinet would be louder than the 210 as it has a lower ohm rating.
    You can always use the cabinets seperatly and you will always be ok.

3. Yep, you can't use both cabs with that head.

4. fourstringburn

fourstringburn Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    Your amp head is rated at 4 ohms. These cabs you mention will give an odd impedance value of 2.66 ohms. If you were to run them, you will have an increase in amp wattage and your amp will overheat as well leading to failure. It is always best to run even speaker loads and pay attention to the impedance values when running multiple cabs. For your amp, you can only run 2- 8 ohm cabs which will give an 4 ohm load which is where your amp is rated at.

5. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    The LH500 does 4 ohm minimum.

So either 2 of those 2x10 cabs would work great. (8ohm + 8ohm = 4 ohm)
    Or either the 2x15 cab alone should do.
    You CAN NOT use the 2x10 and 2x15 at the same time.

I would just use the 2x15 cab only. Should be a great rig then.

And you can either get rid of the 2x10 cab, or keep it for lower volume venues. Just the head and the 2x10 cab by itself then.

this bears repeating: DO NOT USE THE TWO CABS YOU HAVE (8ohm + 4ohm) TOGHETER!!!
    Use them seperately with the LH500.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to that, and besides, the 210 would get buried by the 215. Just use the 215 alone, should rock hard.

7. Whitbass

Whitbass

Jan 22, 2010
    NO is the answer....the amp is not designed the handle 8/4 in parallel, which is 2.67 ohms as has been stated.....

can you upgrade the LH500 to an LH1000?
    in stereo mode, it would be the better option over the mono LH500 head......

with the same, you cannot bridge the LH1000 into anything less than 4 ohms......

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020