1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with ebs valvedrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by drewkelly, Jan 4, 2012.

1. drewkelly

drewkelly

Mar 16, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I have loved this preamp since the day I attained it, but today somehow it stopped functioning correctly. The pedal is getting the correct power, via the EBS power cable. All of the LEDs, and the tube are illuminated. When the pedal is bypassed the signal is great, but when activated I lose all signal. I tried fiddling with the db cut/boost and mute buttons, and that did nothing. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. i would check with EBS they are very good at answering emails.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Those have a history of the stomp switch going bad. Easy fix if that's the problem.

4. drewkelly

drewkelly

Mar 16, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I did email them. Just seeing if anyone on here new a quick fix that I could do.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Mine did exactly the same thing. I thought maybe my power supply went bad. As much as I loved the tone that pedal gives, I sold it off because of it's size. Using a TRex Bass Juice in it's place, and while I do like the Juice, it's no Valve Drive.

6. drewkelly

drewkelly

Mar 16, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Is there any place that I could take it to, to get fixed?

7. drewkelly

drewkelly

Mar 16, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I could always use it as a gnarly mute! Bump up for some help.

8. drewkelly

drewkelly

Mar 16, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    No word from EBS, who repairs pedals for cheap!

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Find an amp tech, or an experienced electronics repair guy. The whole thing inside, except for the tube, is circuit boards.

10. evilgabe

evilgabe

Jan 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Call the EBS USA Distributor on the phone, EBS Sweden takes forever to respond to emails. I had a similar problem with mine and it took forever to get a hold of someone.

Unfortunately mine had a fried transformer so it would have cost too much to fix it. However they were able to sell me a new one at dealer pricing, so I ended up with a brand new one with full warranty for less than the cost of a used one and just slightly more that the cost of a repair.

11. drewkelly

drewkelly

Mar 16, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I'm waiting to hear back from EBS US, but MAN I want my TONE BACK!

12. drewkelly

drewkelly

Mar 16, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Still no reply from EBS US...

13. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    Have they contacted you yet? If they have not done so i can contact EBS in Sweden for you. I live in Sweden you see ;-)

14. ghunter

ghunter

May 16, 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Are you sure you haven't just pressed the Bypass/Mute switch by mistake?

15. I hope not.

16. drewkelly

drewkelly

Mar 16, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I am sure. It's just sitting in the box for now. Haven't heard back from the US EBS representative, and I don't want to spend a fortune on getting it fixed by a tech just yet. I have too many bills taking precedence. Any help with a DIY fix would be greatly appreciated.

17. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses
    Have you tried swapping out the tube?

I understand your pain, haven't switched my valvedrive OFF in a couple of years now :)

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I opened mine when it died. aside from the tube, (which is quite easy to replace), the rest is circuit boards. I hope you get it working, but I'm still using the Bass Juice instead, and quite happy with it.

19. drewkelly

drewkelly

Mar 16, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I did finally resolve the issue with the pedal.. there was a hairline crack in the tube. Somehow every time I looked at it I missed the little crack.
    So now I've replaced the tube and it works as great as always! It was $15 fix! I wish I had found that sooner!!