1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with fender Jaguar build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassnspace89, Sep 30, 2008.

1. ok here's my idea:

6-String neck through Fender Jaguar style bass

im gonna make the body at least in woodshop (CNC and Mastercam acess)

the neck is gonna come from Carvin and it is a 24-fret 34" scale

i cant figure out how to get the body shape for the bass but i was kinda sorta planning on getting the diagram from the fender site and then loading it into Mastercam but maybe there is a better way

what other stuff might i do to make this build possible????
    :help::help::help:

thx ~TBP

2. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    If you mean by this that you expect to find plans or blueprints from Fenders site I would... Id not definitely base my project on that :smug:

3. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    Also take a look at a Fender Bass VI for ideas. The body shape shares some contours with a Jaguar.

4. Keep in mind that with a 24 fret Carvin neck, you'll have to sacrifice the shape of the Jaguar body, as well as the PU locations

5. why would i have to do that???

and i dont really know how to do that vector program scaling stuff... i has just gonna draw the neck in mastercam and then alter and scale the body design off the fender site to fit the neck and then cut it out on CNC

wouldnt that work?

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    "Why... ???"

As far as sacrificing body shape for a 24 fret neck, yes. Unless you do not want to use the extra four frets (extra compared to the original Fender), you will have to cutaway deeper on the treble side to allow access to the extra frets. So the body shape will change.

As far as sacrificing pickup positions for a 24 fret neck, no, not necessarily. You can fit a P pup or a J neck pup in its usual position. But you will have a comparatively small space between pup and fretboard for popping strings.

The 24th fret lies 25.5" from the nut. Here are standard pup positions (centerlines of the pickup coils shown).
    [​IMG]

7. ah i see :)
    thank you very much on that one

i was planning on putting the pickups a little bit down on the body anyways but i think i'll just edit it in the program a bit to compensate for that fret problem...

8. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    You will need to make some changes to the lower cutout... as it stands the jaguar shape doesn't give good access past the 18th fret. To keep 'the look' you will also need to play with the upper cutout as well. I don't think you can pull off a usable 24 fret board without hurting 'the look'.. I played with the idea and could not do it... went with a 21 fret setup instead. If you do it, post some pics!