Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with getting punky sound frm my amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yoda, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Yoda

Yoda

Jun 2, 2005
    Hi, i have a laney HCM120B, i cant get a punky sound i want from it its the graphics equilizer thingy i dont know how to set it if anyone has this amp and can help me please help me thanks :hyper:

2. What kind of punk? Just using a pick and turning the presence up should work for you.

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Set everything to the middle detent, halfway up.

Drop the 40hz slider all the way down, your speaker cant go that low and so its a lot of wasted power.

You might want a slight cut (lowering) of the mids, try the 400 or 600hz.

Then boost (raise) the ones further to the right, Mike Dirnt fave frequency is 2khz, but just mess around, try different combinations. Be warned that any huge boost is going to make hiss and noise.

Jack.

4. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Moderate lows, cut the mids, boost the highs- play with a pick and use the bridge pickup...

5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    You talking 'bout Black Flag punk or Good Charolette not so punk? :smug:

6. Yoda

Yoda

Jun 2, 2005
    bleh not good charlotte punk! im talking rancid, goldfinger, alkaline trio, reel big fish (even tho there ska its still punky) less than jake (again ska but there more punky), anyways i aint got a 40hz i only got 100hz 200hz 400hz 800hz 1k6hz and 3k2hz :confused:

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Sorry Master, I was looking at the specs for the 160B.

Then in which case still do what I and everybody else said, flat lows, slightly cut mids and boosted highs.

8. they are ska-punk bands, pfft, if its ska we're talking about the specials, bad manners and the beat :p

but for that kind of sound (for the bands you listed) its pretty much your usual boost the mids, cut the lows and treble to taste (usualy cut a bit or left flat)

9. Yoda

Yoda

Jun 2, 2005
    still confused :(

10. [​IMG]

Try using it like that, thats what i do, when your with a band it sounds different to when your by yourself, well, kinda, i dont know how to explain it, but that setting on Graphic EQ works for me

11. 99ej8

99ej8

Jul 6, 2005
    what if mine only has low mid and high

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Then it better just be a really nice sounding amp on its own then. I'm for less eq, personally, but with that you really just need an amp that puts out the tone you want.

Also dont forget that your instrument shapes the tone as well. If you screw around with your amp for 3 months, and your playing a Squier..... then you should feel stupid.