1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with new bass pls: Fender vs Sadowsky vs Bacchus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jobs, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Jobs

Jobs

Oct 2, 2008
    Hi crew,

I'm looking to buy a new bass soon. I'm after a Fender Jazz style bass with a rosewood finger board.

I'm able to buy/try the Fenders locally and get a really good price but some guys from uni who are way more into gear than me have suggested these other brands as an alternative which will be better made and sound better whilst still filling my requirements.

I play mainly heavy/atmospheric rock in my original outfits but also jazz in my uni degree. If members of this forum could post comments/suggestions/comparisons about these brands it'd be hugely appreciated.

One other thing: I have no idea about different woods/sounds when the option is there. ie. What's the difference between alder/ash/maple bodies etc?

Thanks in advance.

2. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Goto the Lakland site and listen to all the Fender-inspired basses (and Lakland originals) with all the different wood choices that you mentioned.

3. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    There is alot of general information about Fender ~vS~ Sadowsky, etc. Most of the threads end with personal attacks and childish jabs...Which is how this will end.

Speaking to your specific question, I would advise that you try a ton of basses to hear the differences in alder ~VS~ ash, rosewood ~VS~ maple etc....So that YOU can make the ultimate judgement. People like to throw around buzzwords...'warm,' 'round,' 'full boddied,' 'bright, 'sterile'--but then you start to listen to the sound of the buzzwords more than the sound of the bass. Tone is complex and delicate and often times, words can't capture the essence of it. Especially if you have no reference to compare it to.

As to the brands that you mention, they all make nice instruments with different tonal options. They all would work for your needs, so it's a matter of determining your budget, and trying a ton of basses. Internet research will help out, but it won't let you hold the bass in your hands.

Are you a music major? Try out your classmate's instruments and see if you like any of those.

One KEY bit of advise---Buy a bass for you, not to please a bunch of people on an internet forum or a classroom.

4. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Here's some of my observations after 20 years of playing A LOT of different wood combinations and build types (bolt-on, neck-thru, fanned frets, pickup placement & varieties, etc). If construction quality was consistent and good, across the board...... I'd rate scale length and pickups (type and placement) as the greatest determinant of overall tone. While playing in a band, I just can't tell a significant difference between a maple fretboard and a rosewood, or ash body vs alder, walnut vs flame maple (keyword is "significant"). But, a Dingwall's 36.25 inch E string sounds HUGELY different from a Rickenbacker's 33.25 inch E. The difference?? Radically different scale length and pickup type and placement.

Now, I do have my wood and construction preferences. But, the best advice I could give the OP is try everything: short scale hollowbodies, fanned fret 6 strings, ash bodied P basses, alder J basses.... it won't take you long to determine what sounds/feels best to you.

Good luck.

5. Rayle_Trail

Rayle_Trail

Jun 14, 2004
    Brisbane
    Naaaaaaaaa... don't listen to these guys, get a Sad' Jason!!!

6. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Well Said.

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    As far as I'm concerned,just about everybody is making a good Jazz Bass,but whatever you do try those that you've mention,pick one for you and get to playing !.

8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I wish I could say you are wrong and just jaded, but I suspect you are right. :)

I'll just echo what others have said. Play every bass you can get your hands on. Buy the one that speaks to you, and don't worry about what brand is on the headstock.

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Very well said, as usual. Jobs, I'd just underline that if your budget allows for a Sadowsky, you have a huge number of quality options from which to choose, not just those three brands. Try as many different ones as you possibly can. Do come back for advice and information, but the choice ultimately must be yours.:)