Help with tuner

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Havoc, Dec 24, 2005.

1. I got a Korg CA-30 tuner for xmas, but the problem is I don't know how to use it! My friend has one that you just set for "bass", and thats it. On this one, I have to set the Hz. How do i figure out what Hz to use on standard tuning and half step down tuning?
  2. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    hz should be 440.

Plug your bass into it, turn the bass volume up. It'll give a readout of your note, tune to pitch
  3. Thanks! And if I want to tune it half step down, what should the Hz be then?
  4. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    G#... one half step from A-440 is 415Hz.

Be careful with the frequency scale, it is not linear. Rather than get into a big deal here, I'd suggest you do a little search on the Internet, there are lots of pages that will tell you what the Hz is for any given pitch.

Whole step down is G- 391.9Hz. Minor 3rd F#- 369.9Hz and Major 3rd F- 349Hz

To go up one octave double the frequency. To drop an octave half it. So... the A an octave above A-440 is A-880. The octave below A-440 is A-220.
  5. No no! That's not how it works.

What you've got is a chromatic tuner. Unlike your friend's lousy tuner, which makes you tune to the four notes it's set for and use a button to tune down, yours will let you tune to any note. It will listen to what you play and tell you what note you're closest to (in the upper right of the display), and how close you are (with the needle). That means you don't have to mess around with telling it to tune down -- you just tune to the notes you want, and stop when it says you're in the right place.

The Hz setting serves a different purpose. You set it to whatever you want the A above middle C to be. All the other notes will move a little with it to stay in the correct relative positions. Normally that's 440, but occasionally people like to set it higher or lower. 99% to 100% of the time the people you're with will be using A=440, so you're pretty much always safe at that setting.
  6. Thank you, lemur for putting it so eloquently. Just watch the calibration button- if you bump it & don't notice, you'll start telling everyone else they're way out of tune. :rolleyes: I, um, heard of this happening to someone once. Not me. No sir...

7. AHA! Thanks! That helped alot. Had a little moment of stupidity there. Thanks guys!