Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by cliffburtonfan, May 31, 2004.

1. due to a bust up between our guitarist and drummer our band is hanging on by a thread.
    The band started four years ago, every single member in the band are very close, very good friends.
    The problem is, our guitarist who is probably the best lead guitarist in our town, probably our county, and our drummer who is also very talented (He also sings for the band) have said "Either he leaves our I do"

Basically they have both resigned themselves that the band is over.

Our drummer has already asked me to join another band but I feel an overwhelming urge to stick with the lead guitarist as well hes so good (Every gig we play he has a group of about 10-12 ppl who stand, mouth open and glued to every move his fingers make)

Im tempted to break away and form my own band with the guitarist but I dunno how the drummer will take this. There is also a Rhythm guitarist who is of a lower musical ability than the rest of us, but it was me and him who formed the band in the first place

What do you guys suggest I do? :(
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Why are the guitarist and the drummer so antagonistic to each other all of a sudden? Even assuming that you can't work it out on the level of being friends (and thus get the existing band back together), is it possible to say which of them is to blame?

For example, say it were the guitarist's fault, I'd be very wary of joining another band with him, no matter his level of skill - it might be like chaining myself to a timebomb, waiting for the next explosion.

3. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Just slap em both around a few times and tell them to grow up. Looks like it's always the bassist's job to intertwine the drums and the guitar...moreso than musically in this case :D
  4. It was as far as I can see more the drummers fault, but I wasn't there when the incident occurred so suprose suprise im getting conflicting stories from both of them.

The lead guitarist and rythm guitarist have also asked me to form a new band with them now!

its all a bit crazy :(
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Have you had a band meeting? To move forward you either need clear things up or draw a line under them and a face to face meeting with all the band members is probably the best way. If you and the rhythm guitarist are also involved to some extent, you might even find it useful to get another person in to help abitrate the meeting.

6. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    The last time I posted a thread similar to this,I was advised to form multiple bands.You could consider that. :D .

Otherwise join the guy whose musical taste is most similar to yours.Trust me,it helps.

A drummer singing.Who's he,Don Henley? :rolleyes:

BTW,Cliff Burton fan here as well.
  7. I tried but the two are both so dam stubborn that they refuse to talk! Think I mite just join both bands for a bit of a laugh, Will be two different styles of music which could benifit me playing skills!
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It sounds like you should just let the band die. If you can get a band to last 4 years, that's pretty good. There's no sense in beating a dead horse, especially if the other members aren't digging it, anymore.
  9. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It might be a good time to look at the possibilities of new projects that don't involve either the drummer or the guitarist. That would give you some options if both of their new bands turn out to be riven by personal politics :scowl: