Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Medic, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Medic

Medic

Sep 25, 2004
    Now, please dont yell for not searching or posting on the wrong forum please.

I got a Silvertone starter bass and I am not sure what the/if there is a problem with it. Everytime I press on a string I get an annoying buzzing and same happens when I pluck a string while holding a finger down. I also get the very loud and annyoing sound of my fingers moving down the strings.

Also, could anyone give me some muting techniques(SP?), at this current moment I am trying to use my right index finger which I also use for plucking. Because of this muting problem I am having, switching to another string isnt even in the question, all I get when doing this is a humorous sound that sounds like crap.

:bassist: Thanks for the help guys :bassist:

2. LeftSide

LeftSide

Mar 6, 2005
    I also have a silvertone, and i would say that stuff like that is usual on a low quality bass. You can always raise your action.

As for muting techniques, its best to mute with two fingers, since one finger would just sound a harmonic.

3. If you alternate between your index and middle fingers when you pluck then you can use the other one to mute as you change strings. Lifting your fretting finger will mute notes, but they may not end cleanly, so it's often best to mute with the plucking hand as well.