Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.


Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigmcgiv, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. bigmcgiv


    Mar 29, 2005
    a long story short im going through a divorce, i started playing bass again after many years and i been taking lessons . well practicing tonight i belive i blew my amp speaker out it got a horrible sound . sorta like a kazzoo with a ripped paper. well i need to find a replacement speaker for it it a wabash deluxe bass amp. it got a 12 in speaker. can anyone help me to try to find a replacement speaker for this amp. i like to keep it in really nice shape , lightweight , and a perfect size for my place. thanks matt
  2. chaosMK


    May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    have you tried contacting the manufacturer?
  3. Joe P

    Joe P

    Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I dunno about that..

    If it's a real clear, loud, trebly, buzzy tone, than it might not be the speaker. Could be the head. ...or maybe an intermittent connection in the speaker or to the speaker?

    S'pose you should take it in for troubleshooting. You could connect the output of a home stereo or something maybe to the speaker, to test it (but disconnect the amp from it first!).

  4. bigmcgiv


    Mar 29, 2005
    i cant seem to find anthing on wabash company all i know is they were from chiago ill, and made amps from the 50s-70s . mine is a solid state model and it sounds like a speaker problem because the sound is worst on low end notes then hi end ones. if it was a amp problem i would happen all the time right. thanks matt
  5. Wesley R

    Wesley R Supporting Member

    stamped/printed on the frame. This should identify the manufacturer. Charts exist all over the internet to help. Weber speakers could also be a good place to look for the code.

    Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  6. bigmcgiv


    Mar 29, 2005
    tks ill have too check that out, matt ps. also if anyone has any info on this amp i would appericate it. tks again matt
  7. bigmcgiv


    Mar 29, 2005
    ok i got the speaker out of the amp this is what it says on the back of the magnet. 30cm. p.d speaker eas-30p09sb 8ohms japan . any help would be great.tks matt
  8. bigmcgiv


    Mar 29, 2005
    well the closest thing i found that should work is a jensen mod 12-50-8 speaker. can anyone suggest anything else. tks matt
  9. Chef

    Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    weber speaker or circuitshop.com should be abel to recone your speaker for about $50.
    google them
  10. bigbeefdog

    bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

    Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    It does sound like the speaker is toast.

    But from your first post, it seems like this is a practice amp, correct? Someone will likely come around in a bit and speak of enclosure size, Xmax, etc..... and these things do make a difference, to find the *ideal* replacement...... but the truth is, *any* 12" 8-ohm driver will "work", as long as it has a standard mounting screw pattern (I've never seen one that didn't), and will get the amp back in condition to be suitable for home practice....

    Avatar, Carvin, and a number of others sell 12" 8-ohm bass drivers..... plus, they can be found on Ebay....

    And if you're blowing it due to "pushing" the amp, well, you might be ready to step up to something bigger, and relegate this one to permanent "practice amp" status....
  11. iriegnome

    iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

    Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    How about some of the on-line speaker places. Parts Express or MCM both sell 12" speakers that you could use and at a pretty good price. If quality is what you are after, Call Jorg at Schroeder Cabinets and I know he would sell you one of the drivers he uses in his cabinets.
  12. bigmcgiv


    Mar 29, 2005
    tks guys i went because i think it was dry rotted and i barey had the volume up. so i think the jensen mod would work fine but i have a 6 hole mounting and it a 8 hole. so i keep running into problems. tks matt
  13. Chef

    Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Just ahve your orignal speaker repaired by weber or circuitshop.
    done, easy.
  14. fnordlyone

    fnordlyone Supporting Member

    Jun 12, 2013
    south Louisiana
    I just got a 2x12 cab with the exact same speakers inside. It says Kingston on the grill. Stamped on the actual paper of the speakers is C3010D. In tiny type that looks like a maker's mark 822I with a circle around the I. Kid who sold it for $20, said there were 10's in it, looky looky!
    These speakers look in perfect condition.
    Can anyone identify the speakers?

    p.s. I'd like to know watts handling; this isn't merely a research exercise. Sorry to Zombie post, but found Matt had the same mystery speaker in a different branded cab. Matt you out there? What was your cab's RMS?