1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dcguess92, Aug 14, 2012.

1. dcguess92

dcguess92

Aug 14, 2012
    ok guys, i recently came into possesion of a gk 410/8 neo bass cabinet. i was wondering what would be the best head to run it, and the cheapest/best head. the ratings on the subs are 800 watts at 8 ohms. most of the heads ive seen are 4 or 2. where can i get a head the runs 8 ohms, or does it even matter? and how many watts do i need in a head to push the speakers? just getting a good sound not pushing them to the max.. sorry bout all the questions im pretty new at this stuff :D

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only heads I can think of that DON'T run 8 ohms are the Ampeg SVT tube amps. Any solid state or hybrid head can, as well as most other tube amps.

3. +1

Take the cab and your bass down and start playing through amps, pick the one that sounds best.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Best for what? Jamming in your bedroom? gigging at a bar? Playing at an arena?
    Please define cheap.
    What kind of music do you play? Is there any bass sound that you like?

5. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    There is a ton of information on TB about this - and a lot of different opinions on what is right. Here are my prejudices;
    Most solid-state (not tube) amps are fine at 8 or 4 ohms, some go down to 2 ohms but you need to check. Cab manufacturers often rate their cabs at the maximum thermal dissipation - usually it is best to halve the power rating that is claimed. Typically, I suppose, most of us, given an 800W cab would not want to run more than a 300W head into it. This will be plenty loud enough for any small to medium gigs you are likely to do. 300W is a very common power rating for heads and you should easily find a wide variety of good stuff on the second-hand market for not a lot of money. I used a 150W head and a 240W 4x10 in a three-piece for years and never found it wasn't loud enough. When we did bigger venues there was always PA support. Even now I only have a 250W (old-school Trace) head running into a 1x15 and a 2x10 and still think is plenty loud enough but there are other here who think differently.