1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Here are some live clips: Epi mini stack (110UL/112UL)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    For anybody wondering what this rig sounds like, I did some jamming in the basement on Friday night and got a stereo mic recording through my Hi-MD player. Here it is:

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=47452

Clarus SL, Epi 112UL, Epi 110UL. Volume to spare, I think I had the master and gain set very low. Like, 8 o'clock on both.

W

2. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    wow man nice sound :)

its sound like a real nice jazz guitar up in the higher registers, are you tuned E-C or B-G?

Dave

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    It's E-C, but the E string sounds kind of big and boomy like a B! Thanks!

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    It sounds good! You're drummer is all over the place though, its driving me nuts...

5. Thanks for sharing!

Sounds good. Your are a nice player and I enjoy it!

Is that any sound different between your Clarus and your Focus?

-Christian

6. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i quite liked the drummer,

maybe it gets a little much at times but if everyone has good time and everyone is listening to eachother then i think it can sound quite interesting

Dave

7. Nice playing, nice tone... nice even, full, balanced sound on that C string, which is not always the case...cool!

I'm more into 'groove' drummers myself, but pure personal taste.... when a drummer 'listens too much' it can get quite interesting, but also quite grooveless:D

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    oi...

not helping my GAS in adding a ul110 to my setup.

and killer playing wil! tasteful yet butt kicking. :cool:

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it much!!!

Sometimes I like the interactive thing, it just makes it fun when you can tell someone's listening to you...still, I also like to hear a "pulse" in whatever music I'm playing, whether it's being played or whether the feeling of the pulse is so strong it doesn't need to be played. My favorite drummer right now is that guy Thomas Pridgen who plays with trumpeter Christian Scott. He is the perfect blend of interaction and straight up nasty as$-kicking.

W

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hou- I have a Focus 2 and a tiny little Clarus SL. I like the Focus because it has two channels for running a mic+pickup blend on my upright. However, I find myself taking the Clarus SL to nearly all of my gigs because it has plenty of juice and IMO sounds identical to the Focus. They have the same preamp section, with the SL lacking a notch filter (that I never use). I *have* actually heard someone say that they thought the Clarus SL is the best sounding of the AI amps, but I can't hear the difference if there is one.

W

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Damn Will. That rig sounds incredible. When ever you're ready to send me that bass just let me know. I can give up the B string for that sound.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think the rig and the playing are both great! (Drummer drove me nuts too!....I'm sure the guy's good, but he listens too much! :))

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yup, cool playing Will. You and I use some similar stuff, rhythms especially. I wish we lived close so we could shed on things together (and so I could play that bass....:D )

I've got to admit......I want to shoot the drummer. He wasn't listening at all. He was just trying to show everyone what he has. Drove me crazy.

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Great playing and I like drummers who "listen" in that format, but it doesn't work at all in pop. My favorite jazz drummers are the listeners like Roy Haynes and Tony Williams. But I've seen both and I can't imagine either one playing on a straight ahead pop/R & B tune.

15. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    +1 on that man, and thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I would be taking lessons from you though Andy, working on that four finger business especially!!!

It's funny, you guys hear things I never thought about. I just play and try to make it work no matter what's happening, I guess I'm way more self-critical than anything else!

W

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I dug the drummer a lot :D

Forget about Will- he already know shis playing was great ;)

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY

We'd be teaching each other my friend, I can assure you. There was some hip stuff in there.

18. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Dragging behind here! Nice playing and great tone Will.

My guess is you could pull that out of most rigs. Sweet setup.

19. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Sorry, I'd love to hear it but the program is not compatible with the system I have at work. From the threaders know to have posted and their comments makes me feel like I'm really missing out.

20. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks Jmain, I appreciate it man...it is a nice sounding rig.

Mac- I haven't run into any compatability problems with the Icomposition site though sometimes it gets weird with IE. Sorry, I'll be glad to email it to you if you send me a PM with your address. You're probably going to be disappointed after waiting for it tho. :p

W

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021