Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Carvin users...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rayzak, Mar 9, 2005.

1. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    My employer is offering a program. You assemble a Carvin from scratch and basically learn about set-ups, etc.
    Sounds pretty cool to me as i'm not much of a set up guy.
    Here's what they offer:

Type of Bass Guitar: Product Enrollee
    Code Price
    4 String Bass with Passive Electronics RBK4 $ 279.99
    4 String Bass with Active Electronics RBK4A $ 329.99
    5 String Bass with Active Electronics RB5KA $ 379.99
    Solid alder bodies with 2 single coil pick-ups, ebony fingerboard with dot inlays, and chrome hardware are standard

Options: Product Enrollee
    Code Price
    Swamp Ash Body ASH $ 30.00
    Honduran Mahogany Body MAH $ 25.00
    Rosewood Fingerboard RWF $ 10.00
    Maple Fingerboard MF $ 10.00
    Fretless Fingerboard (ebony wi line inlay) FI $ 15.00
    Bridge Humbucking Pickup wi splitter HB2 $ 30.00
    Textured Black Finish on Body TXB $ 40.00
    Tung Oil Finish on Neck TNB $ 40.00
    Black Chrome Hardware BC $ 15.00
    Gold Plated Hardware G $ 25.00
    Total Kit Price:
    Shipping: $8.99

My basses now are a Metro MV4, a '57 Fender reissue P, and a Stingray so i'm wanting the combination that differs most from everything else. I wouldn't mind doing fretless, but since i'm putting it together, I worry that i'll mess it up. What would you guys do? I have absolutely no experience with Carvin at all. Any help of advice is greatly appreciated.

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Sounds pretty cool, and I'm sure it will be a great learning experience.

If it were me, I would get:

5 string
    Mahgony body
    Bridge humbucker
    Tung-oiled neck
    Black hardware

I would do fretted, but that's cuz i don't need a fretless right now. About messing the fretless up: from a build standpoint, most amatuer guys would say the fretless is easier. That is because there is no fretwork to worry about, and your not going to ruin a bass if you don't get the scale length right on.

BTW, I'm not a carvin user, but you could call me a carvin gas'er

3. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Hey, I just noticed were both hoosiers :bassist: . Who might this "employer" be?

4. That sounds like loads of fun. Regarding screwing up scale length. The whole thing comes ready to assemble meaning the fret work is done and the holes are drilled. That's how the kits work AFAIK. Enjoy!

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Carvin told me that a maple neck comes standard with tung-oil finish instead of gloss. So hmm . . .

Anyway, go for the mahog body, it's beautiful stuff. My Carvin B4 should be coming in in about 20 or so days.

6. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Well hello my fellow hoosier. Visteon; used to be Ford(no flaming please), but we were spun off about 4 years ago to get out from under the "Ford umbrella" and create new outside business... hasn't worked :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies. Well, I mentioned to my ex brother-in-law, who will also be taking the class, that I wouldn't mind going for a fretless and he said that he wouldn't because the relief has to be so perfect that 1/30th of an inch would mess it all up. I thought it sounded fishy, but what do I know?
    Also, what pickup combo would be best with fretless.
    Also, i'll probably be finishing it myself. Does Mahogany look good natural? Is the Tung finish worth the cost? Once again my XBIL says that he'll finish the neck for me and it'd be a waste. All input welcomed.

7. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hey Snarf, that's probably correct. My understatnding is that these are "program basses" and some things are different than the ones directly from Carvin.
    Are these prices pretty fair? Anyone?

8. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    well I wouldn't worry to much about what your BIL has to say. It may take some experimenting with the setup before you can get that nice Mwah sound, but the neck relief needs be no more precise than a standard fretted. Bear in mind however that with neck relief you are dealing extremely small values, but i'm sure you can handle it.

The benefit to tung oil is that it just feels better to most people. It doesn't feel "sticky" like some gloss finishes. Basically it is an oil that soaks into the wood and then hardens, instead of drying on the wood. The downside is that it is less protective than hard gloss or semi-gloss finishes.

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    tung oil can be practically fool proof. i have the fourth coat drying on my carvin neck right now. $40 is abit steep unless you want them to also paint the headstock or something. but for $12 or so you can get a can of tung oil and some 0000 steelwool and do it yourself.

i think on the kits, all the holes are already drilled, you just gotta finish em and put em together.

there are some good discussion boards over at Carvin and some of the folks here on TB post over there also.

good luck on that bass.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Those are good prices, I believe better than you could get on the website. The parts are AFAIK the same ones that Carvin uses for the assembled bolt-ons, minus final sanding, finish, and of course assembly.

11. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Do you think that a fretless at this pricepoint will be ok or would I be better off with sticking with fretted for this bass?

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I don't think you would be at any more risk with a fretless than with a fretted. The construction quality will be the same. Try whatever you prefer.

13. Carvin construction is top notch...the tone is either love it, or hate it...if you like a bright tone, carvins are the way to go

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I don't know if I'd characterize all Carvins as bright. I played some kid's LB70, think it had a walnut top. Thing was amazingly warm.

15. I have a walnut one thats pretty bright...I guess its all in the electronics :hyper:

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Partly that, partly in the wood, partly in the construction ... and partly in the ears and hands of the individual player. Not everybody hears tone the same way.;)

17. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Whoa, what's with this special deal? 279 is 80 bucks off the regular price, can I get this deal too or is it only for certain people?

I want to build a B4 fretless, lined, ash body, black hardware, and install some DiMarzio Model J's and a Willis ramp.

18. I'm still scratching my head, trying to figure out why Visteon would care if you could assemble and set up a bass :confused:
    I have a brother in law who works for Visteon, I should ask him if he can get me a deal on a new bass :hyper:

19. I'd go for a fretless with a Walnut body

tung oiled neck and body

I have exactly that, and it sounds/looks fantastic. And I set it up myself (the factory action was high) and it was really very easy